- Date Posted
- Nov. 21, 2021
- Business Applications
Work In Startups is the UK’s number 1 platform for startup jobs. A site built by the startup community, for the startup community, we’ve grown from a humble launch in 2011 to becoming the largest dedicated tech startup job site in the country. We’re well known by the tech industry, recruitment world and, most importantly, job seekers, as THE place to find a UK startup job.
Acquired by Adzuna in 2018 (more about Adzuna below), we have some very exciting growth plans for 2022 and beyond, and are looking to bring on an entrepreneurial General Manager to join our team and help drive this part of the business forward, delivering on existing growth projects and bringing in fresh new ideas to help up improve and scale.
Want to learn how to be a founder/CEO but not quite ready to start your own business? This is the perfect opportunity.
This is a truly unique leadership opportunity for someone who wants to be a General Manager and is entrepreneurial and passionate about startups and the tech industry. You will have the chance to have lots of autonomy and take ownership of driving the business forward. You’ll be running a small/startup company (but with the support and resources of a scale-up around you) acting as a business owner and have the responsibility of planning and executing our next projects that are going to champion real change!
- Build and maintain relationships with founders and senior management teams of high growth UK companies.
- Initiate new product ideas, improvements and onward product management of those we have recently introduced, and work with our developer to deliver them
- Create a strategy for revenue growth and translate these into specific initiatives
- Leading our commercial activity and growth
- Proactively promote Work in Startups and increase our traffic and brand image (develop existing and acquiring new partnerships, attending startup/tech industry events and growing the brand through your own voice and content)
- Lead a small team of 3, as well as leaning on the experts across Adzuna
What’s in it for you?
Work In Startups (as part of Adzuna) is a growing scale-up, championing real change in the job market. We’re at a really pivotal time in our journey, while the tech industry is booming this will give you the opportunity to really make a difference in the startup hiring space and have a big voice within the community.
You will act like an owner, be a team player and make a difference. It’s an opportunity to work alongside a smart team led by experienced management and dedicated and passionate Founders. It’s not an easy feat, but our aim is to create a business of which we are all proud and an environment where you will love to be, where you can be yourself to do what you do best.
As the General Manager of Work In Startups, reporting to the Adzuna CFO, you will be responsible for overseeing and supporting the daily business operations. You should have a growth mindset, be adaptable and excited to make things happen! While we don’t like to put people in boxes, you’re likely have aptitude of much of the below:
- A true passion for entrepreneurship, innovation and you understand the startup space. If you have ever run your own website/business, even better!
- You have worked in or have a good understanding of the recruitment industry landscape, preferably within tech.
- Founder mentality - you are always up for trying new things, are not afraid to learn new skills or to fail, and can juggle priorities from strategic to hands on
- Strong sales and business development experience, with a track record of hitting or exceeding targets
- Excellent internal and external rapport builder and communication skills, with an ability to establish strong relationships
- Previous exposure to SEO/a basic understanding of different marketing techniques
- Good numerical skills, with the ability to analyse and optimise the performance of the site
- Experience liaising and working closely with Tech/Product teams
- Leadership skills around performance management, team development and objective setting
- Some prior experience setting commercial direction by providing financial forecasts, with exposure to setting pricing to compete in the market.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Experience building relationships and pitching or working directly with C-level executives
- Have previously worked in digital marketing and have good knowledge of various marketing activities including SEO, SEM, PR and social media
- Experience working closely with developers
- Product management/design experience
- Reward: We offer a competitive financial package which includes competitive salary, stock options, a contributory pension scheme and Perks at Work.
- Wellbeing: We take the wellbeing of our employees seriously and have taken every step possible to protect the health and wellbeing of our people during COVID-19. Amongst other things, we offer healthcare through Babylon Health, access to free counselling and a programme of wellbeing activities and events. We have a flexible working policy and during COVID-19, for the foreseeable, no one is expected back in the office unless they choose to attend. We also run regular wellbeing workshops, offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave because we welcome people with families, and 25 days paid holiday per year
- Training: Through our Adzuna Academy training programme, attending (virtual) conferences, team training budgets, individual development plans and coaching from experienced and supportive peers and managers.
- Fun stuff: An environment that is thoughtfully designed to allow for work and play including (when we’re not restricted by COVID-19) a roof terrace, bar and table tennis. We have a packed social calendar, twice annual global team get-togethers and an enviable culture thanks to the amazing and smart people who make Adzuna a great place to work. Much of this is all done remotely at the moment of course - even during COVID-19 we are still managing to have a lot of fun ‘together’ thanks to our great Social Committee.
A bit more about Adzuna
Adzuna is a smarter, more transparent job search engine used by tens of millions of visitors per month. We love using the awesome power of technology to bring together every job in one place, help match people to better, more fulfilling jobs and keep the world working .
Adzuna.co.uk is a 100 person business operating across 16 territories and was founded in 2011 by Andrew Hunter and Doug Monro, formerly of eBay, Gumtree, Qype and Zoopla.
- We are backed by leading Venture Capital firms Passion Capital, LocalGlobe, Index Ventures and Smedvig Capital.
- We’ve spent a decade developing smarter, more transparent job search so jobseekers worldwide (we’re in 16 countries) can zero in on the right role faster.
We also supply real-time data to the Number 10 Dashboard and Office for National Statistics labour market indices. In 2018, Adzuna won the contract to run Find a job, one of the British government’s most used online services.
We treat jobseekers as people not as products. We do the same for our team, seeing the diverse range of strengths they bring to our business. Regardless of background, race, gender, sexuality or ability, we welcome everyone to our team. Our people are the most important asset we have.
- Please let us know if we need to accommodate a disability during the hiring process, so that we can give you the support you need.
- Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme.