- San Francisco
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Mountain View
- Bozeman, MT
- Date Posted
- Nov. 9, 2021
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We are searching for Localization Engineers to develop the core algorithms for pose estimation using a variety of sensors and build large scale data processing pipelines for building maps.
In this role, you will
- Invent, design and develop real time pose estimation and inertial navigation algorithms that run on the autonomous vehicle
- Invent, design and develop offline algorithms to process large scale sensor data to produce maps used for pose estimation
- Analyze and architect safety and redundancy in the localization system
- MS or PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, or a related field
- 4+ years of work experience
- Excellent C++ programming and software design skills
- Previous work on state estimation problems in a team environment
- Great grasp of linear algebra, probability theory, optimization, and basic geometric algorithms
- Experience with filtering algorithms (i.e.- Kalman filters, particle filters, etc.)
- Experience with sensors including IMU, LIDAR, radar, and cameras
- Safety background - worked in an environment where safety was a priority
- Strong mathematical foundation
- Previous experience in the autonomous vehicle space
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.