- Pittsburg, CA
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 8, 2021
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for an experienced finance leader to help build a world-class FP&A function from the ground-up.
In this role, you will
- As a key member of the Finance Leadership Team, build and lead a world-class FP&A function
- Attract and retain exceptional talent capable of growing with Aurora as we build a transformative business for the long-term
- Develop and institute an exceptional Finance Business Partnership function
- Play a critical role in budgeting, forecasting, business planning, management reporting, and business analytics activities, adapting these as the business grows and changes
- Own the company’s consolidated forecasting and expense planning workstreams, collaborating cross-functionally across Aurora to create annual plans and insightful reporting packages
- Be a thought leader for the continual improvement and simplification of financial budgeting, forecasting, and reporting across Aurora, to include the likely future requirement to implement and manage forecasting and reporting tools and systems
- Create effective departmental planning and reporting processes and feedback mechanisms to increase visibility and accountability and improve the quality of budgets and forecasts over time
- Work across Aurora to improve financial discipline and enhance the financial business acumen of non-financial leaders, becoming a trusted partner of leaders at Aurora and helping to ensure spend is aligned with plans and priorities
- Develop a cadence of regular financial reporting across Aurora, tailored to the needs of various stakeholders, including Finance leadership and CEO staff, and providing insightful analysis
- In partnership with People Operations and Talent Acquisition, drive insight into relative resource allocation via data and activity analysis to provide leaders with greater understanding and insight into their departments
- Be hands-on as well as strategic; we are a small department and need leaders who are willing and able to operate at all levels
- 12+ years relevant experience in Finance roles in large and/or fast growing companies; significant experience in public companies preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Hands-on experience managing FP&A teams supporting R&D activities
- Experience managing and working successfully in geographically distributed teams and companies
- Direct experience working in a fast growing publicly traded technology company with quarterly reporting requirements
- Worked directly with advanced FP&A tools and systems and familiar with a range of corporate accounting systems (e.g. NetSuite, Oracle, SAP)
- Experience preparing regular reporting for the company, Finance and department leaders and of developing effective packages appropriate for different audiences
- Proven experience in identifying and acting on financial insights
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and proven ability to effectively communicate complex concepts in a simple manner to all levels of a company
- Expert-level GSuite skills, particularly Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Slides
- CPA (or international equivalent), CFA or MBA are preferred but not required
- Proven experience building an FP&A team from scratch and/or helping rebuild an existing FP&A team and/or navigating an FP&A team through corporate reorganizations
- Owned all financial aspects of headcount planning for an Engineering-heavy technology company
- Directly responsible for and/or heavily involved in the selection, implementation and ongoing maintenance of sophisticated FP&A tools (e.g. Essbase, Anaplan, TM1) that tie directly into corporate accounting systems
- Familiarity with working with Workday to extract meaningful data for financial planning and analysis
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.