- United States
- Date Posted
- Dec. 13, 2021
- Software Engineering
Who is Bird?
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we’re just getting started.
We’re looking for a Staff Software Engineer to take on a technical leadership role and build out a world class payments platform. You will be a leader in our FinApps organization, a cross functional center point with stakeholders across Product Development, Finance, Data, and Treasury.
- You’ll work across the business to set a platform strategy that aligns with our growth goals
- Ensure appropriate financial, regulatory, and other compliance related controls are in place
- Work with finance and accounting to make sure the right stakeholders are consulted on payment changes
- Collaborate with other engineering teams teams to build and manage integrations with other systems (Product, Netsuite, Shopify)
- Create a secure system that monitors internal access to payment data
- Build monitors for potential fraud metrics for escalation back to the appropriate product or business teams.
- Tech lead the team, taking responsibility for architecture, code quality, and availability of the payments platform.
- Own the integration of multiple payment platforms: Stripe, Braintree, Adyen
- Support the team through mentorship, direct feedback, and building a healthy and inclusive team culture.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science
- 8+ years of industry experience
- Experience in Java, Kotlin or other JVM based languages (Scala, Clojure, Groovy, JRuby)
- SQL experience
- Distributed computing experience including multi-region global platform development
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms
- Expertise in object-oriented design methodology and large scale application development
- Quarterly travel to Los Angeles
- Functional programming experience
- Experience with Stripe, Braintree, Adyen and other payment platforms
- Experience with cross platform payment orchestration
Technology we’re working with
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.