- Date Posted
- Jun. 14, 2021
- Business Intelligence
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations be resilient to cyber attacks. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive insurance to help organizations recover from failures and breaches. We serve over 42,000 customers, ranging from small and midsize businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $300M from leading global technology investors, including Index Ventures, General Atlantic, Ribbit Capital, Vy Capital, Hillhouse Capital, and Valor Equity Partners, among others. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is global with employees based across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Portugal.
About the role
The Coalition Security team is comprised of bright minds across many cybersecurity domains, with expertise in Red Teaming, Threat Intelligence, Cyber Risk Management and Defensive Security Controls. In the Security Engineering role, your mandate is to protect our customers from loss. As a part of this mandate, you might find yourself analyzing data breaches and claims events, conducting client security gap analysis, assisting with penetration testing / red-team assessments. You will work across our client base on topics ranging from security architecture and cloud security, to data protection and compliance.
You will also have an opportunity to work with our product team to codify security best practices into our underwriting algorithms, rating models and risk management apps.
- Review and analyze the security posture of insureds or potential insureds quickly and efficiently
- Evaluate customer security programs, technologies, controls, and business environments; recommend and develop enhancements
- Triage security incidents and claims, understand the root cause, and develop detection tradecraft from threat intelligence
- Build security automation tooling to rapidly integrate optimizations into our underwriting system
- Assist with developing Information Security Plans and Policies, including those for Incident Response, customized to customer requirements and risk profile
- Provide recommendations on solutions to help customers manage information security risk
- Track emerging security practices and contribute to building internal processes, and our various products
- Stay abreast of the current regulatory environment, industry trends and related implications
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of 2-4 years of security analysis or penetration testing experience
- Demonstrated expert understanding of the life cycle of network threats, attack vectors, and methods of exploitation with an understanding of intrusion set tactics, techniques, and procedures
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Protocols, network analysis and network/security applications, including log and network traffic capture analysis
- Experience with Nmap, Nessus, Nexpose, Qualys, Burp, Kali, Metasploit, Meterpreter or other offensive tools
- Knowledge of industry standard frameworks – NIST, ISO, HIPAA, PCI
- Self-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit and comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (verbal & written)
- Aptitude to learn technical concepts/terms and ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Security, Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Securing cloud based platforms (Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, etc.) - experience with system hardening procedures for Windows, Linux and Unix is helpful.
- Knowledge or experience with EnCase, FTK, SIFT, Volatility, Splunk, Graylog, ELK/Logstash, WireShark, Zeek, or other open source forensic/log analysis/network analysis tool
- Knowledge of programming and scripting for development of security tools and industry frameworks is helpful
- SCADA / Control systems network experience a plus
Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition’s culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity, and no a-holes. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
- Coalition Raises $175M to Build the Future of Commercial Insurance
- Forbes.com - Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2020
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.