- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 29, 2021
- Product Engineering
Discord is your place to talk. Whether you’re part of a school club, gaming group, worldwide art community, or just a handful of friends that want to spend time together, millions of people use Discord every day to create connections, hang out, and talk.
Technical Program Managers operate within the Engineering organization and have technical knowledge that enables them to influence and drive cross-team projects and roadmaps. The right candidate will be an excellent communicator, comfortable in a fast-moving organization, and eager to collaborate to solve difficult challenges. This is a leadership role reporting directly to Discord’s head of engineering and will be responsible for building our TPM function from scratch. The ideal candidate is highly organized, productive, first-principles thinker, who is able to thrive in high-pressure, time-sensitive scenarios.
What you’ll be doing
- Be part of the engineering Leadership team (alongside product, design, analytics, and cross-functional leaders), responsible for defining the future of how we scale as a small but mighty, distributed engineering organization
- Build and lead a team of TPM’s capable of scaling with Discord through a period of continued high growth and transformation, while forging tight partnerships with managers and engineers across the company
- Demonstrate an ability to structure an organization and optimize it for execution, including attracting top tier talent, building the team from the ground up, and filling out gaps in the existing team quickly to accommodate growth
- Build and lead an organization with user/customer focus, world-class quality, and effective communication with a focus on decisive, fast-moving solutions, quick and constructive resolutions to conflicts, and a “no barriers” mentality
- Develop and manage cross-functional programs covering a range of areas and managing multiple interdependent projects of moderate to high complexity and scope
- Measure and improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes that are working well and build the next level of improvements, set standards for deployments at scale, infrastructure reliability, security, and scalability
- Provide thought and program leadership around a variety of concerns like product quality, scaling engineering processes, driving cultural principles, etc. If it’s something that’s making the engineering team less efficient or less fun, it’s probably something you would have an opportunity to improve :)
- Serve as an evangelist for the team and overall culture, both internally and externally
- Who you are
- 10+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical product/program management experience
- Experience either in an established consumer application, cloud computing, or mid-sized growth stage company
- Experience communicating program architectures, including how and why they were run, and the systems put in place to run them
- Knowledge in technical program management methodologies, experience delivering tech programs or products from inception to results
- Experience moving technical or engineering programs from concept to completion and experience articulating the impact using metrics, growth examples, ROI etc.
- Experience with Cloud computing and large-scale infra leveraging technologies
- Experience with scale, production with emphasis on Reliability, Efficiency, Scalability
- Adept at breaking down complex challenges into workable components and make continuous progress towards solving a problem vs. trying to boil the ocean