- United States
- Date Posted
- Aug. 30, 2021
- Product Management
Flipboard is a content discovery platform designed to inform and inspire the world. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles, videos, podcasts and products shared by the greatest publishers and our vibrant Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
Flipboard seeks an experienced Sports/Weekend Editor (40 hours/week-contract) to direct our sports coverage and oversee weekend curation. The role is for remote work.
This is an excellent opportunity for a seasoned editor who is passionate about curating quality sports content from the world’s leading publishers. Your daily choices and programming will be seen by millions of users, including our avid sports fans. We are looking for someone who has a broad knowledge of sports, from the NFL and NBA to golf and tennis.
Keep in mind that Flipboard doesn’t produce original content, so we are looking for a skilled editor who is a voracious consumer of sports stories and knows how to package and curate content. We seek an editor who is committed to surfacing excellent journalism that highlights not only the scores, but also the cultural issues of the sports world. The editor will also work with our publishing partners to coordinate coverage of marquee events.
Beyond sports, the Sports/Weekend editor should have a broad knowledge of current events and general news. Weekend responsibilities include push notifications to breaking news stories and the curation of a general news e-mail newsletter.
Requirements & Preferred Skills/Experience
- At least 5 years experience editing and/or curating news content for a digital platform
- BA in Journalism or similar field preferred
- Must be a pro at producing crisp, clean, error-free copy
- Must be experienced user of content management systems and tech savvy
- Must be a highly motivated individual with attention to detail and a self-starter
- Should be highly structured, disciplined and organized with an ability to meet deadlines
- Open to a work schedule - 40 hours/week (Thurs.-Mon.; Tues.-Weds. off)
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people’s voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.