- Date Posted
- Aug. 24, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity?
As a senior engineer in Intercom, you will be someone who solves real customer problems through a smart and efficient application of your technical knowledge and your tools.
We are looking for engineers to join the team that builds and maintains Intercom’s flagship Messenger product. The Messenger operates at high-scale, and demands a very high product quality bar. Within the Messenger team, you will build both back-end and front-end systems, and work closely with designers, product managers, researchers, and data analysts. Learn more about our engineering culture at intercom.engineering
What will I be doing?
- Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow. We scale to service requests from all our customers’ customers. We’re growing and so are they.
- Contribute to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and implementation.
- Grow your team’s capacity by mentoring other engineers and interviewing candidates. This is a chance to be an integral part of building and growing a team.
What skills do I need?
- 6+ years of industry experience in a senior software engineering role, preferably building a SaaS product. You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had on the product and/or the team.
- Deep knowledge of a high-level programming language, ideally Ruby on Rails. It doesn’t need to be a language that we use here, we are language agnostic when hiring! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working).
- Knowledge of Web/Mobile is a plus
- Experience collaborating directly with product teams and designers, and a proven track record of delivering value to customers or users. Engineers at Intercom are pragmatists who work closely with others on cross-disciplinary teams
- Passion for engineering excellence, clean coding and SOLID principles.
What happens when I apply?
First, apply so we can review your CV :) After a call with the recruiter, the following step will be a phone interview with one of our engineers which will focus on technical and culture contribution questions. The final step is a virtual onsite interview.
Working at Intercom
Our culture is open, friendly, and inclusive - and this is something we are proud of. We like to experiment, sometimes inventing things for the first time, but we stay pragmatic, starting small and simple in everything we do. We want to help people grow and do the best work of their career and we want everybody to work with co-workers who value kindness, optimism, and positivity.
We love people who genuinely want to learn and grow, and we take bets on high potential engineers on rapid trajectories. We’re opinionated by default, for example we run less software and ship continuously. We’re technically conservative and like to keep it simple, but where it means building better products we’ll double down on new technology like machine learning in a pragmatic way.
Help us build a world-changing product, a long-lasting company and the most effective team possible. We want to build an organisation where people thrive, feel included, grow in their careers, and enjoy having a high impact through their work.
- We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Flexible holidays policy, so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.