- Toronto, CA
- Date Posted
- Sep. 20, 2021
- Product Engineering
A bit about us
Lever was founded nine years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We’ve rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
We are looking for a Director of Engineering relevant prior experience to lead our product engineering organization and grow our world-class engineering teams. This role is key to scaling our engineering teams to support our growth initiative. We’ll trust you to work with our infrastructure, architecture, and product teams to build a scalable, robust enterprise product.
Lead, collaborate, build. Foremost you will draw on your people management and organizational skills to grow and shape our teams of product engineers. You will also draw on your technical and project leadership skills to establish sound design and project management processes to ensure effective collaboration and smooth execution across teams. You will mentor our managers to develop our top performers. You’ll set the direction for the team and lead our efforts to evolve the product and information architecture of the product to meet the needs of enterprise customers. You’ll bring your expertise to improve the design and development of a realtime web application.
This is a team of talented managers and engineers who are passionate about the work and believe strongly in a supportive and collaborative culture.
The skill set
- 5+ years of software engineering management experience at top-tier cloud software companies with a track record of delivering software with high business impact
- 2+ years experience leading multiple software engineering teams with overall responsibility for enterprise software delivered as a service
- Deep understanding of software architecture and development practices
- Solid understanding of the needs of enterprise customers, ideally in the realm of organization settings/configuration and access permissions
Within 1 month, you’ll
- Familiarize yourself with the Product Engineering teams and their responsibilities
- Get to know the leaders of Infrastructure and Product Management and what they need from Product Engineering
- Take over management of the product engineering teams
- Familiarize yourself with our interview process and take over hiring for your positions (if any)
- Partner with Infrastructure to establish processes to ensure smooth and reliable end-to-end software development processes
- Partner with Product Management ensure ownership of all product areas and alignment between PM’s and teams
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Run cross-team product engineering meetings
- Oversee the design review and integration processes used by the entire team
- Own responsibility for security, reliability and performance of our software, including improving the ways in which we track, monitor, and act on the quality, stability, and performance of our product software
- Lead any engineering manager interview process as hiring manager, in partnership with Lever’s Recruiting Team
- Work with our Infrastructure and Cyber Security teams to understand identified risks and partner with them for remediation
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Lead the effort to scale our product to support larger enterprise customers
- Own the roadmap for building towards a service architecture which increases system scalability and stability; communicate the roadmap to relevant internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with product and infrastructure to increase release velocity while maintaining quality and safety
- Provide thought leadership in safe software delivery best practices
Within 12 months, you’ll
- Grow our culture which emphasizes pride of ownership
- Maintain knowledge of best practices and teach them to rest of team
- Ensure that system reliability and performance is scaling with our growing customer base
- Provide headcount growth recommendations and write role profiles for future engineering hires
- Provide thought leadership on growth plans and best practices for the organization; communicate them to the company leadership
Is this role not an exact fit?
The lever story
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.