- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Data Science
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the Role
At a pivotal inflection point of growth, Metromile is seeking a Senior Data Science Manager to work with partners from across our company to support and grow our business. Your work in this role will directly affect our growth as we scale in new markets and the experiences our customers will have. You and your team will build the predictive models needed to optimize our customer acquisition process, take advantage of the terabytes of data our sensors collect, and better understand the needs of our customers.
Our predictive models and the way we use them are continuously evolving, and so will your team.. You won’t code daily, but will need to demonstrate approaches at times to your team, review code, and act as an individual contributor in a pinch, especially while your team is still growing. If you are excited by the opportunity to work with diverse data sources on impactful projects central to our company’s mission, then we’d love to hear from you.
- Recruit and lead data scientists through career-defining projects and career development, providing relevant context and vision
- Work cross-functionally to define models that power decision-making throughout the company, developing approaches to monitor their business impact
- Design and project-manage changes to machine learning infrastructure
- Support the team in launching new machine learning models in production, with both batch and streaming applications, communicating resultant change downstream in the enterprise
- Proactively identify and address data issues and alerts between various systems
- No degree required: While we value degrees in quantitative fields like computer science, statistics, economics, math, operations research, physics, engineering, etc., we recognize there are many paths to gain relevant experience and would love to hear about yours.
- Demonstrated ability to grow, lead and coach a strong data science team
- Ability to understand the big picture and make sound decisions while paying attention to details.
- Communication and leadership experience, with experience driving action through uncertainty
- Experience building machine learning models using SQL and Python
- Experience in implementing algorithms to optimize growth, such as contextual multi-armed bandit
- Experience leading and influencing the data strategy of your team or organization
- Familiarity with public cloud tools (ideally AWS and/or GCP)
- Prior experience within the fintech, insurtech, or autonomous vehicle space
- Exposure to high-dimensionality telematics sensor or geospatial data
What’s In It For You
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program and a culture that encourages using it (e.g., designated no-meeting days so teams can take flex holidays)
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (6 week paid sabbatical at 5 years)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.