- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Data Science
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech company powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices, as well as remotely. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About The Role
At a pivotal inflection point, Metromile is seeking a Staff Data Scientist to support and grow our business. This role will provide technical leadership in data practices, modeling infrastructure/architecture, and algorithmic design as a core member of a growing team. Your models will help drive the company’s mission toward growth and high-quality customer acquisition, and you’ll have the opportunity to provide meaningful contributions that will impact the company as a whole.
If you are excited by the opportunity to explore diverse data sources and work on impactful projects central to our company’s mission, we’d love to hear from you.
- Own end-to-end data science projects from the exploration phase to implementation in production to post-production monitoring.
- Work closely with growth stakeholders and help guide them on data-driven decisions and modeling opportunities
- Implement a wide range of growth algorithms (e.g., contextual multi-armed bandit, response/uplift models for various campaigns, policy lifetime value) and distill the results to a non-technical audience.
- Lead innovation on our infrastructure for managing features for, training, and deploying machine learning models (both batch and real-time) based on your expertise
- Use your models to influence decisions across the business and gain support from executive leadership
- Work with a diverse team of collaborative data professionals who enjoy technical discussions, learning new methodologies, and helping each other improve through feedback and shared research/tools
- No degree required. While we appreciate experience in a quantitative field like statistics, economics, applied math, operations research, physics or engineering, we recognize there are many paths to gain that experience and would love to hear about yours
- 5+ years experience building and deploying machine learning models in production
- Proficiency with SQL for writing efficient queries on large datasets
- Proficiency with Python for statistical and numerical modeling
- Experience with AWS and/or GCP cloud platforms
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with cross-functional partners to build the business
- Experience with Python and/or Scala APIs of Apache Spark, or other tools to work efficiently with data at scale
- Experience within the fintech, insurtech, or autonomous vehicle space
- Prior work in developing machine learning infrastructure
What’s In It For You
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program and a culture that encourages using it (e.g., designated no-meeting days so teams can take flex holidays)
- Flexible hours
- Remote work options
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (6 week paid sabbatical at 5 years)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.