- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
Are you someone with a passion for DevOps and are looking to help build and grow a team? Motorway is growing its technology team and business, and as part of our growth we’re now looking to hire a Senior DevOps Engineer.
We’re currently a microservices environment, hosted and deployed in Heroku, using a CI/CD pipeline. As part of our scaling challenge we’re in the process of migration into our own AWS solution.
What you’ll do
The Motorway Engineering department has continued to grow and we’re looking for someone to work with us as a Senior DevOps Engineer as we build a world-class Engineering team.
- Manage, maintain & support our Heroku environments (until we move off Heroku).
- Build appropriate tooling for engineering teams.
- Reduce manual work (toil) for the technology team – yourself included! If we can automate it, with a tool or script - let’s do it.
- Own and implement appropriate monitoring & alerting.
- Assist the development teams in using these metrics to ensure the reliability of the platform across all services across all deployments.
- Define service level objectives.
- Own and implement new continuous deployment & release improvements to support Motorways ambitious future plans.
- Keep up to date with best practices in application hosting and continuous deployment.
- Familiarity with Heroku or Heroku-like PaaS.
- Familiarity with AWS.
- Experience with container deployment platforms like Kubernetes.
- Experience with Docker & Containerisation.
- Prior evidence of developing command-line tools.
- Experience with Serverless technologies e.g. AWS Lambda.
This position will include some level of out of hours on-call after your initial training period and will be supported by the rest of the engineering team – you are not expected to be on-call 24/7/365.
- Proven track record of supporting web platforms in production at scale.
- Experience in cloud platforms, and how to upgrade and fix.
- Experience defining metrics and monitoring on web platforms and setting up alerting for when those metrics are breached.
- Ability to monitor and identify network policy violations and system breaches.
- Experience with continuous delivery and zero-downtime deployments.
- Experience with incident response in an on-call environment.
- Comfortable with command-line tools and environments.
- Proficient with at least one server-side programming language.
- Enjoys complex problem-solving and delivery results.
As a team
We truly live our core values:
- Bravery - As a team we are transparent and open. We don’t believe just because we’ve done it this way before, we should stay the same.
- Drive to win - We’re going to completely change an industry. We believe in team success ahead of individual success, so work together collaboratively to get things done.
- Accountability - We take responsibility for what we do and how we do it. We’re transparent and we believe in a non blame culture, when things go wrong, we admit our mistakes, learn from them and improve.
- Humility - We work with nice humans, and we want to continue working with nice humans! We succeed together, we don’t blame others and we know we’re not perfect and ask for help.
- A competitive salary.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
- Discounted Calm membership.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
- The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.