- Date Posted
- Nov. 17, 2021
- Design & UI
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
- So, we’re building a new one.
- And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission.
The team you’ll be working with: Design Systems
For a fast growing organisation like Wise, a shared and consistent design system is a must. The design systems team enables our product teams to iterate faster, building higher quality and more consistent user experiences. We have a pretty big (and growing) cross-functional team of 10, and a cast of regular contributors. We’re a fully front-end team, split between web, iOS, Android and design.
As the Engineering Lead, you’re responsible for working closely with the team and the Design Lead to set and execute on the technical vision for the design system. Our team doesn’t have a Product Manager, so you will also work with the Design Lead to set the vision for the design system as a whole. In this respect you will have lots of autonomy and influence on what the team works on.
You can expect to split your time between leading the team (1:1s, planning), tech leadership (reviewing PRs or RFCs, helping team debug issues) and general design system strategy (working with the Design Lead). While this is likely to keep you relatively busy, you will still have a chance to get your hands dirty and code ~ 20% of the time.
What does it take?
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on technical solutions and helping teams make good decisions
- Work closely with the Design Lead to set the overall design system strategy and prioritise the most important work
- Fostering good communication within the team and enabling good decision making
- Iterating on team processes to find the most effective ways of working for the team
- Being a champion for the team in the wider organisation
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring in driven and high performing teams
- Experience working with Web and / or other Front-end technologies
- An eye for detail and an interest in Design / UX
- Comfortable managing parallel work streams and prioritising between competing priorities
- An interest in international finance, foreign exchange or payment systems
Nice to haves (but not essentials!):
- Having worked with design systems or in a design systems team
- Experience working on native mobile platforms or leading mobile developers
- …but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything! If you’re interested, we’d love to hear from you.
What does success look like?
- You’ll help scale the impact of the design system by improving it and encouraging adoption
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- Find out more about our benefits in our London office