- New York
- Date Posted
- Nov. 14, 2021
- Design & UI
We are looking to add a Fine Art Specialist to our expanding Art and Design Research team. As a Fine Art Specialist you will have the opportunity to leverage your knowledge of the art market and industry trends to support the expansion of our growing art category. If you are passionate about art and design, able to navigate delicate conversations with sellers, and balance needs to deliver business first outcomes - then this is an ideal role for you.
1stDibs is a leading online marketplace for extraordinary design. Since 2000, we have captured the magic of the Paris flea market, connecting those seeking the most beautiful things on earth with highly coveted sellers and makers in vintage, antique and contemporary furniture, home décor, art, fine jewelry, watches and fashion.
What you’ll do
- Consult on the supply strategy for 1stDibs’ rapidly growing art vertical
- Review all potential sellers interested in joining 1stDibs using your industry expertise, knowledge of seller reputation, and market trends
- Author and review seller guidelines to ensure marketplace quality standards are maintained
- Develop a deep understanding and familiarity of the art supply, including consistent and ongoing review of sellers to ensure high marketplace standards are met
- Provide buyer assistance on post-sale questions and concerns while reviewing pieces to mitigate risk on high value transactions
- Be an educational resource by presenting on topics related to your area of expertise
- Work with the Manager of team on strategic and risk-based approaches to reviews and inventory guidelines for the art category
- Advise and be a cross-functional partner on greater company initiatives, including but not limited to, product development, seller onboarding, marketing and merchandising campaigns, as well as providing insights and data for press requests
- Field and advise, as a public facing-presence, on questions from trade and VIP client sales team, seller community, and buyers, including by providing sourcing support to our internal sales teams for high potential clientele
- Research, develop, and present weekly, monthly, and as needed trends reporting for internal cross-functional groups, including but not limited to, weekly expert’s picks, monthly industry trends reports, insights to industry as needed for special projects, and others.
- Develop a network of external experts in the field to cover internal expertise gaps
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art History or equivalent specialized studies. Master’s Degree preferred. 3-5 years of professional experience working in the fine art sector
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for cataloging art as well as trends and current practices of the art industry as a whole, including a need to have your finger on the pulse of market happenings
1stDibs is a leading online marketplace for connecting design lovers with highly coveted sellers and makers of vintage, antique, and contemporary furniture, home décor, art, fine jewelry, watches and fashion. 1stDibs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
1stDibs is actively hiring and, in response to COVID-19, conducting all interviews and onboarding virtually. Any new or current team members will be temporarily working remotely until our offices reopen, at which point all employees are expected and required to return physically to the office.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the hiring team following submission of your application.