- New York
- Date Posted
- Jun. 13, 2021
- Professional Services
The Specialist Department at 1stDibs is looking to expand its team of internal experts. As a Specialist, Jewelry & Watches on the Art + Design Research team, you will be part of a team hailing from some of the world’s premier galleries, auction houses, and museums. An ideal candidate is passionate about design, art, jewelry, and fashion history coupled with a strong knowledge of industry trends and the current market for vintage, antique, and contemporary pieces.
An ideal candidate is a strong communicator who has the ability to navigate delicate conversations with an international seller population. We are looking for a methodical thinker with the ability to compromise while delivering business first outcomes.
What you’ll do
- Consult on the supply strategy for the rapidly growing antique, vintage and contemporary jewelry marketplace
- Review all seller applications and leads to join the site using industry expertise, knowledge of seller reputation, and market trends, including writing and adapting seller leads review guidelines.
- Develop a deep understanding and familiarity of the jewelry supply, including consistent and ongoing review of sellers to ensure high marketplace standards are met
- Provide buyer assistance on post-sale questions and concerns while reviewing pieces to mitigate risk on high value transactions
- Be an educational resource by presenting on topics related to your area of expertise
- Work with the Manager of team on strategic and risk-based approaches to reviews and inventory guidelines for the jewelry category
- Advise and be a cross-functional partner on greater company initiatives, including but not limited to, product development, seller onboarding, marketing and merchandising campaigns, as well as providing insights and data for press requests
- Field and advise, as a public facing-presence, on questions from trade and VIP client sales team, seller community, and buyers, including by providing sourcing support to our internal sales teams for high potential clientele
- Research, develop, and present weekly, monthly, and as needed trends reporting for internal cross-functional groups, including but not limited to, weekly expert’s picks, monthly industry trends reports, insights to industry as needed for special projects, and others.
- Develop a network of external experts in the field to cover internal expertise gaps, e.g., watches
What you’ll bring
- 7-10+ years of professional experience working in the luxury jewelry sector.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for cataloging luxury estate jewelry as well as trends and current practices of the jewelry industry as a whole, including a need to have your finger on the pulse of market happenings
- Experience with contemporary, trend, and demi-fine jewelry with ideas on how to expand the 1stDibs marketplace for these two categories
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant studies, Master’s preferred
- Strong research skills and the ability to conduct historical research for vintage and antique items
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to form relationships with clients & peers
- Ability to work in a fast paced and ever-changing environment
- Preferred but not required - ISA, AAA certification, experience with jewelry appraising, gemological certification
- Familiarity with CRM platforms such as Salesforce
1stDibs is the world’s largest online luxury marketplace for rare and desirable objects. It has become the go-to source for the world’s leading interior designers and consumers to find antiques, furniture, jewelry, vintage fashion and fine art.
Backed by Benchmark Capital, Insight Venture Partners, Index Ventures, Spark Capital and Alibaba, 1stDibs is a unique blend of expert curators and seasoned Internet executives from companies including eBay, Gilt, Google, FreshDirect, Mlb.com, Shutterfly, and Twitter.
1stDibs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
1stDibs is actively hiring and, in response to COVID-19, conducting all interviews and onboarding virtually. Any new or current team members will be temporarily working remotely until our offices reopen, at which point all employees are expected and required to return physically to the New York office.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the hiring team following submission of your application.