- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
Alan is the healthcare super-app offering personalised healthcare & wellbeing to our members.
Founded in 2016 by Jean-Charles Samuelian and Charles Gorintin, Alan is the first independent digital health insurance in France since 1986.
By providing our members with delightful health insurance bundled with innovative healthcare services, Alan’s long-term goal is to help all people have a personalised and accessible healthcare experience.
As of today, Alan covers more than 170,000 members, representing over €100m of annualised revenue. We recently raised a further €185m in a series D funding round bringing the company’s total valuation to €1.4bn. The team is 400+ people and growing. We recently landed in Spain and Belgium , and guess what: the best is yet to come!
How we do it?
At Alan, we have a set of cultural values that guide our approach to work:
- Members first. We put our members first, our team second, our shareholders third.
- Distributed Ownership. We empower everyone to make courageous decisions and to work asynchronously.
- Radical Transparency. We take all our decisions in writing and adopt a direct and honest style of communication.
- Personal & Team Growth. We are self-improving whilst helping others grow. We’re no ego-doers and we all edit the company.
- Fearless ambition. We shoot for the moon and work backwards. We push for excellence by focusing on uncomfortable A+ problems.
- Underrepresented folks...
Science shows that you are less likely to apply if you feel you don’t have all the necessary prerequisites. If this description matches where you are now or what you’d like to grow into in your next position, we encourage you to apply.
We strive to make our culture as inclusive as possible and believe both the company and its culture are strongest when composed of diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- We have an open salary & equity policy combined with a transparent career path: we base our people decisions on objective criteria.
- We have flexible working hours and leave policy.
- We trust people to work remotely (we are a “work from anywhere” company).
- We extended the length of parental leave and value this time as professional experience.
- We respect our coworkers gender identity and use their names, pronouns and agreements no matter their legal status.
- We make tough decisions if we see discriminatory remarks.
What to expect?
Since its creation, Alan has focused on creating and distributing value through disruptive corporate ideas (you can read our co-founder Charles’ blog post on Making the team’s equity worth money for a few examples).
As Alan’s Corporate Legal Counsel, your main goal will be to continue and scale this legacy by increasing Alan’s autonomy and creativity on corporate law questions (with, initially at least, a heavy focus on M&A):
- You will build a strong position for Alan regarding international M&A transactions and other strategic corporate law topics and increase the velocity of transactions. You will work hand-in-hand with business and product owners on our M&A strategy, deal structuring, LOI signatures, transaction negotiations, closing, and integration
- You will help implement the next stage of Alan’s corporate story, with a new corporate organisation, scalable equity grants, and simplified corporate operations
- You will manage Alan’s corporate governance including quarterly Board meeting preparation, shareholder registries maintenance and share transfers. You will work closely with the finance team to maintain our cap table and communicate with shareholders. You will be a key contributor to financing operations including fundraising
- You will support the corporate development, finance or people teams to answer complex legal questions related to new topics such as our work from anywhere policy
- You will liaise with Alan’s corporate and tax lawyers as required
- At least 5 years in Corporate, M&A and/or tax law practice at an international law firm (drafting in English)
- Experience working in M&A and structuring deals, and appetite to develop skills in corporate organisation, governance, and fundraising
- Perfect French and English legal writing skills
- Challenger mindset, creativity, willingness to engage in innovative corporate law practices and to take risks to define new practices in line with Alan’s goals
- Curiosity and appetite to dig into types of work you are less familiar with
- Attention to detail, focus on excellence combined with simplification
- Business sense, you understand what really matters/creates value vs. theoretical legal points
- Proactivity, team spirit, energy
- Perks & Benefits
At Alan, we believe that being in good health is a basic need, and it starts with our employees. This is why Alaners are provided with a stimulating environment and perks for them to be happy, efficient and spend only high-quality time with co-workers.
Therefore, we offer:
- Flexible Office. Amazing office space in the headquarters, sponsored co-working hubs or a full-remote experience for those who want, with home office equipment sponsorship.
- We reward fairly. Competitive Salary and generous equity packages
- All the tools you need. Top of the range equipment: Macbook Pro, keyboard, laptop stand, monitor, and Bose noise-cancelling headphones
- Flexible vacation policy. Alaners can organize their time off as they wish.
- Delightful healthcare insurance. Extremely comprehensive health insurance with Alan Blue - 100% of the contribution covered by Alan for you and your family
- Transport. Country-specific commuter benefits
- Learning & Training opportunities. A very flexible Training policy at Alan, free books and budget to attend and speak at conferences if the opportunity arises
- Parental leave & Childcare. Extended parental leave for all new parents & daycare solutions (France only).