- Date Posted
- Aug. 22, 2021
Alan is the healthcare super-app offering personalised healthcare & wellbeing to our members.
Founded in 2016 by Jean-Charles Samuelian and Charles Gorintin, Alan is the first independent digital health insurance in France since 1986.
By providing our members with delightful health insurance bundled with innovative healthcare services, Alan’s long-term goal is to offer personalised healthcare to millions of Europeans, and beyond.
As of today, Alan covers more than 170,000 members, representing over €100m of annualised revenue. We recently raised a further €185m in a series D funding round bringing the company’s total valuation to €1.4bn. The team is 400+ people and growing. We recently landed in Spain and Belgium , and guess what: the best is yet to come!
How we do it?
At Alan, we have a set of cultural values that guide our approach to work:
- Members first. We put our members first, our team second, our shareholders third.
- Distributed Ownership. We empower everyone to make courageous decisions and to work asynchronously.
- Radical Transparency. We take all our decisions in writing and adopt a direct and honest style of communication.
- Personal & Team Growth. We are self-improving whilst helping others grow. We’re no ego-doers and we all edit the company.
- Fearless ambition. We shoot for the moon and work backwards. We push for excellence by focusing on uncomfortable A+ problems.
- Underrepresented folks...
Science shows that you are less likely to apply if you feel you don’t have all the necessary prerequisites. If this description matches where you are now or what you’d like to grow into in your next position, we encourage you to apply.
We strive to make our culture as inclusive as possible and believe both the company and its culture are strongest when composed of diverse experiences and backgrounds.
The Privacy function is key to Alan’s next development phase: differentiated services using health data - the most sensitive data that could be - are at the core of our current strategy. Our Privacy strategy can make or break Alan’s potential to offer a personalised, proactive, instant & accurate healthcare experience to its members, beyond insurance services.
- Beyond Alan, there is a unique opportunity to truly define what Privacy means in healthcare.
- We are hiring quickly, and assembling an international team of incredibly driven, focused and fun professionals.
- As Product & Privacy Legal Counsel
- You will feed the company’s strategic and long term thinking about Privacy & Digital Health Services with your expertise. You will contribute to setting our concrete appetite for Privacy on given initiatives by developing sophisticated business arguments and showing value for our members. You will also lead the definition and adoption of principles and frameworks to guide the company’s day-to-day decisions.
- You will define Alan’s position on opportunities and risks related to how personal data are processed in Alan’s new products, processes and services, as early as the strategy and roadmapping stage, in tight collaboration with Alan’s Product, Design and Engineering communities. With ~10 features or completely new services involving novel uses of health data being experimented or launched every 7-week cycle, you will have to prioritize radically and paint the bigger picture behind individual ideas or features.
- You will collaborate with Public Affairs and our in-house Medical Doctor team to deepen our relationship with national and European authorities & regulatory bodies (e.g. data protection authorities, national health authorities working on streamlining healthcare, medical professional boards). You’ll be encouraged to learn about new ways of providing healthcare or practicing medicine, and your input will be helpful to navigate piecemeal and outdated regulations on the topic in relation to the processing of our members’ health data.
- You will be the owner of Alan’s GDPR compliance program (definition of priorities, influence on product roadmap to achieve goals, supervision of documentation maintenance), as well as the main point of reference for privacy questions requiring legal expertise. Our “DPO team”, currently consisting of a senior security engineer versed in GDPR as well as a user care expert and an intern, will support you closely on the more operational/recurring topics.
- You will contribute to building a distributed and transparent Legal function, in line with Alan’s focus on empowering the team through frameworks and resources they can use without needing direct input from legal counsel. Watch Marion Bergeret (Legal Counsel) talk about how we do Legal at Alan here.
- A few things specific to Alan worth keeping in mind
- Alaners want to do things right, and our members’ privacy is one of the company’s top priorities. You’ll have the resources to be ambitious.
- We hire people, not roles. Your potential scope is infinite: we trust you to focus on the area where you can have the most impact.
- We don’t have a hierarchical structure, nor do we ‘delegate’ or ‘instruct’ team members to work. You’re in charge of defining what topics you should prioritize.
- Hard skills and qualifications we’ll be looking for
- Strong written communication skills and structure
- A good level of written and spoken English. At Alan, everyone works in English. Fluency in French is a plus, but not absolutely required
- 10-20 years working in Privacy and IT/technology advisory with at least one significant in-house experience working with product teams, ideally in a tech and/or start-up environment, ideally in the health space, with significant experience engaging with top levels of leadership and product teams on privacy questions
- Interest in pioneering new ways of doing legal operations and dedication to making Legal work approachable, transparent and distributed
- Soft skills we think would make you a great fit
- Passionate about the impact of Privacy on people and businesses
- Able to influence conversations at the highest leadership levels, as you’ll be expected to influence Alan’s strategy
- Able to simplify and propose clear trade-offs and solutions, as you’ll need to interact with non-lawyers on a daily basis
Perks & Benefits
At Alan, we believe that being in good health is a basic need, and it starts with our employees. This is why Alaners are provided with a stimulating environment and perks for them to be happy, efficient and spend only high-quality time with co-workers.
Therefore, we offer:
- Flexible Office. Amazing office space in the headquarters, sponsored co-working hubs or a full-remote experience for those who want, with home office equipment sponsorship.
- We reward fairly. Competitive Salary and generous equity packages
- All the tools you need. Top of the range equipment: Macbook Pro, keyboard, laptop stand, monitor, and Bose noise-cancelling headphones
- Flexible vacation policy. Alaners can organize their time off as they wish.
- Delightful healthcare insurance. Extremely comprehensive health insurance with Alan Blue - 100% of the contribution covered by Alan for you and your family
- Transport. Country-specific commuter benefits
- Learning & Training opportunities. A very flexible Training policy at Alan, free books and budget to attend and speak at conferences if the opportunity arises
- Parental leave & Childcare. Extended parental leave for all new parents & daycare solutions (France only).
- Check out our Medium & blog for more info: https://medium.com/alan / https://blog.alan.com/