- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
Alan is the healthcare super-app offering personalised healthcare & wellbeing to our members.
Founded in 2016 by Jean-Charles Samuelian and Charles Gorintin, Alan is the first independent digital health insurance in France since 1986.
By providing our members with delightful health insurance bundled with innovative healthcare services, Alan’s long-term goal is to help all people have a personalised and accessible healthcare experience.
As of today, Alan covers more than 170,000 members, representing over €100m of annualised revenue. We recently raised a further €185m in a series D funding round bringing the company’s total valuation to €1.4bn. The team is 400+ people and growing. We recently landed in Spain and Belgium , and guess what: the best is yet to come!
How we do it?
At Alan, we have a set of cultural values that guide our approach to work:
- Members first. We put our members first, our team second, our shareholders third.
- Distributed Ownership. We empower everyone to make courageous decisions and to work asynchronously.
- Radical Transparency. We take all our decisions in writing and adopt a direct and honest style of communication.
- Personal & Team Growth. We are self-improving whilst helping others grow. We’re no ego-doers and we all edit the company.
- Fearless ambition. We shoot for the moon and work backwards. We push for excellence by focusing on uncomfortable A+ problems.
- Underrepresented folks...
Science shows that you are less likely to apply if you feel you don’t have all the necessary prerequisites. If this description matches where you are now or what you’d like to grow into in your next position, we encourage you to apply.
We strive to make our culture as inclusive as possible and believe both the company and its culture are strongest when composed of diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- We have an open salary & equity policy combined with a transparent career path: we base our people decisions on objective criteria.
- We have flexible working hours and leave policy.
- We trust people to work remotely (we are a “work from anywhere” company).
- We extended the length of parental leave and value this time as professional experience.
- We respect our coworkers gender identity and use their names, pronouns and agreements no matter their legal status.
- We make tough decisions if we see discriminatory remarks.
Operations at Alan
Our Operations team guarantees the delivery at scale of our insurance and healthcare products, efficiently and delightfully. On a day-to-day basis, this means running, building and industrializing processes to deliver the vision and contributing to our strategy by bringing Ops perspective.
As we anchor our Insurance position in France, diversify our offering with health and well-being related services and expand into an international platform, our operations are becoming very complex and our challenges ahead have never been as exciting!
Being an Ops at Alan means joining a team of 18 talented, committed and passionate Ops experts from three different countries, with a lot of interactions with Engineering, Product, Care and many other teams at Alan.
The Operations Community’s core responsibilities are to build and strengthen our operational capabilities and scale our platform efficiently to handle fast growth, cost optimisation and product diversification.
We need team members to be ready to disrupt (and not only upgrade) the way we traditionally think about insurance or healthcare, and truly re-engineer the experience we offer to our members .
To that end, we are looking for Operations experts with a strong track record in scaling operations and great entrepreneurial mindsets to help us make our crazy ambitions come true. We move fast, with a lot of ownership, and are proud to tackle big problems! Example of missions our team is covering and you could be involved in:
- Perform and scale daily operations for billing, claims management or medical chat with Care, Engineers, Product etc.
- Supervise and grow the team of insurance operators or our network of doctors
- Handle partnerships with partners (teleconsultations, etc.)
- 2/ Build: Lead and implement very strategic projects such as the launch and scale of new insurance products, internalisation of stackflows (insurance billing or health claim management), creation of new health services offering (psychological well being offer Alan Mind, 1st B2C offer with Alan Baby), etc. with full ownership on the deliverables
3/ Industrialize to reach operational excellence:
- Set up efficient operations monitoring to build a granular understanding of our operations, track volumes/efficiency and identify risks and areas of improvement
- Identify continuous improvement initiatives and push automation of our insurance or medical processes and workflows to make them more personalised and more efficient
- Improve financial efficiency of our model
- 4/ Strategy / Leadership: Define Ops strategic vision on Company’s key topics, drive alignment at Company level and navigate through the different teams to make things happenMap existing landscape and market trends, define priority use cases, explore build/buy/partner options, etc. for instance of our Alan Baby app
- 5/ People growth: Mentor team members by providing the right level of support, helping them grow and offering the right platform to learn
Profile and Competencies
You would be a good fit in the Operations team at Alan if you have 5-10 years of experience in building, optimising and running processes to offer the best experience to our members in a scalable and efficient way. You have:
- Strong strategic thinking and planning: Ability to definea vision and drill down into an actionable plan and roadmap, ability to consider complex problems and factor in different dimensions (business, customer experience, regulatory, etc.) with a deep level of structure
- Passionate about digging into ops/technical processes: ability to build and optimise processes that ensure quality of service, performance and scalability, while making them clear and delightful internally and for our members
- Strong analytical & problem solving skills and ability to conduct deep data analysis
- Communication: Communicates well with Alaners, our investors, and service providers
Soft skills/ Behavioural traits
- Comfortable in fast-paced environments where there is a high level of uncertainty, ability to remain proactive and biased to action in exploratory project stages, at ease to self-start and work independently with a strong capacity to adapt
- Highly adaptable and fast learner : excited to learn new tools, technologies, and methodologies
- Highly organized, able to handle many different tasks in parallel
- Hands-on: Not scared of getting their hands dirty and dive into any problem
- Challenger: Portrays a general growth mindset and challenges Alan’s past decisions.
- Collaborative/ team player: Able to navigate through an organisation and work with very transversal teams, able to handle stakeholders with very different needs and expectations - great attitude and ability to collaborate in multidisciplinary teams that can include clinicians
- Leadership: Able to attract top talents, lead, mentor and make people grow
- User centricity and empathy: A sensibility for Product / UX esp. For early stage, and towards member’s and colleague’s satisfaction
- Experience building new and early-staged products and services with a user-centric approach, understanding of key principles of early-stage products such as traction, retention, learning loop, etc.
Strong written and oral communication in both English and French
- A successful track record in scaling a company or setting up complex operations
- Healthcare/digital health or insurance experience, passion for healthcare delivery
- SQL knowledge allowing to be fully autonomous when drilling into the data
The Alan Method
At Alan, we have a set of cultural values that translate into our approach to work:
- We solve big problems, quickly, with focus
- We tell and share everything
- We grow as individuals while we are developing the company
- At Alan, we believe that being in good health is a basic need, and it starts with our employees. This is why Alaners are provided with a stimulating environment and perks for them to be happy, efficient and spend only high-quality time with co-workers. Therefore, we offer:
- Competitive compensation packages, along with meaningful equity
- An awesome office in the center of Paris
- Relocation packages for our international candidates
- A great healthcare program (yes, Alan )
- Flexible and remote-friendly work environment
- The necessary equipment for you to do your best work (Noise Cancelling Headphones, a Macbook Pro, secondary screen, etc.). You can have them at home, in case you are mostly working remotely
- And a lot more great stuff (feel free to ask)!
- Perks & Benefits
At Alan, we believe that being in good health is a basic need, and it starts with our employees. This is why Alaners are provided with a stimulating environment and perks for them to be happy, efficient and spend only high-quality time with co-workers.
Therefore, we offer:
- Flexible Office. Amazing office space in the headquarters, sponsored co-working hubs or a full-remote experience for those who want, with home office equipment sponsorship.
- We reward fairly. Competitive Salary and generous equity packages
- All the tools you need. Top of the range equipment: Macbook Pro, keyboard, laptop stand, monitor, and Bose noise-cancelling headphones
- Flexible vacation policy. Alaners can organize their time off as they wish.
- Delightful healthcare insurance. Extremely comprehensive health insurance with Alan Blue - 100% of the contribution covered by Alan for you and your family
- Transport. Country-specific commuter benefits
- Learning & Training opportunities. A very flexible Training policy at Alan, free books and budget to attend and speak at conferences if the opportunity arises
- Parental leave & Childcare. Extended parental leave for all new parents & daycare solutions (France only).