- Kitchener, CA
- Date Posted
- Jan. 12, 2022
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
We’re building a movement - an education revolution. We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions. We simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process. Not only do we help students with their study abroad journey, but we also help academic institutions to find the best students globally. Our goal is to help enable better, more diverse, schools that are enriched with cultures from all over the world.
As part of the Application Processing team, your mission is to provide services and capabilities that enable ApplyBoard’s service teams to best service our Students and Recruitment Partners throughout their journey from discovery to admission.
Your team will do this by providing an easily navigable and accessible information system that delivers timely and accurate information about schools and programs including their respective eligibility, other known requirements, and availability information. Your team will deliver an applicant and application management system that is easy to use, scalable, and performant that ensures applicants (applications) meet all the respective eligibility and other known requirements. Additionally - Your team will work to ensure the system is able to provide timely and accurate applicant (application) status updates that are easily accessible to internal stakeholders and systems.
What you’ll be doing every day:
- Leading multiple engineering teams responsible for building and delivering multiple applications and services
- Drive the execution and delivery for the ApplyBoard Application and Products by collaborating with other teams.
- Continue recruiting and hiring to further build out the team to support ApplyBoard’s continued growth.
- Leading and mentoring a talented team of technical leads and developers, focusing on continuous improvement, software excellence, and maintaining a high performing development organization.
- Accountable for maintaining a high standard of product quality and code health.
- Work with Engineering leaders to proactively manage projects and deliverables and provide communications and updates to ensure cross-functional alignment of upcoming changes.
- Work alongside engineering leadership to provide technical advice and insight into the technical roadmap as it relates to achieving business goals
- What you bring to the table:
- 7+ of practical experience developing web-based commercial software that users love (in any modern tech stack)
- Great communication skills. (Yes, everyone writes that - but we really mean it.)
- Demonstrated ownership and pride in the quality of the software you work on, and the way that it succeeds in meeting the needs of its users
- Knowledge of a variety of programming paradigms and languages, design patterns, tech stacks and frameworks - and the trade-offs entailed in choosing among them
- A high level of skill and craftsmanship in building software that stands the test of time
- Ability to explain and defend an informed opinion while maintaining an open mind
- Experience with engineering practices and processes which promote incrementalism, frequent delivery and tight feedback loops - without sacrificing quality
Ideally, you also have experience with some of:
- Developing and maintaining products that are used by many thousands or millions of people
- Experience building Web, Mobile and desktop applications that interacts with hundreds of thousands of ends users
- Experience building platforms that collects data from multiple sources and connects end users to service providers
- Experience building and automating manual workflows for large scale application processing
- Ruby, Rails, React, Node.js, Typescript, or python
- Kafka, Amazon MQ, RabbitMQ or similar streaming or messaging systems
- EdTech, eCommerce, or content-management software
- Relational databases, ORM frameworks, and their alternatives
- Microservices or SOA; RESTful APIs, JSON
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack
- DevOps, Observability, Infrastructure as Code
- A degree in computer science or related field
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have an impact on a product that is positively affecting change to thousands of students lives every day
- Working alongside a brilliant and globally diverse team based in Waterloo and Toronto
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
- Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard, however, only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we believe in providing equal opportunity regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. Please let us know if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to:
- Join the fastest-growing technology company in Canada, with many opportunities for growth and advancement
- Work alongside a globally diverse team of over 1,600 team members based in 18 countries, who represent over 30 nationalities and speak more than 40 languages
- Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities
- Want to learn more about Life at ApplyBoard, and be sure to follow us on our Life at ApplyBoard Instagram.
ApplyBoard empowers students around the world to access the best education by simplifying the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process to more than 1,500 institutions across Canada, Australia, the United States, and the United Kingdom. ApplyBoard, headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, has helped more than 200,000 students from more than 125 countries along their educational journeys since 2015.
ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list in 2019 and #2 in 2020. ApplyBoard was also been named to LinkedIn’s list of Top Startups in 2020 and TechTO’s list of top Canadian Rocketship companies to accelerate your career in the Tech Industry.
In 2021, ApplyBoard announced a C$375M Series D funding on a C$4B valuation. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team around the world, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world. Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard. Please note that only qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.