- San Francisco
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Sep. 22, 2021
- Business Development
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Within Information Technology, we are focused on partnering with our business customers and partners to help them prosper. Our strategic initiatives are a foundational part of these partnerships, delivering the technology they need to increase their velocity and impact. We are looking for a seasoned leader to head our strategic program management office. Our strategic program office is responsible for the creation, management and execution of Information Technologies governance that is leveraged across the organization, creating a foundation upon which we operate. These processes and policies are logically grouped into Strategy & Planning, Change & Release Management, and Program Management. The ideal candidate will serve as a critical partner coordinating and connecting teams and work streams to ensure Information Technology is moving with purpose and impact in alignment with Aurora business. They have demonstrated experience developing and optimizing processes, achieving operational goals, and diving into problems with a data-driven mentality. If you are a candidate who has the vision of what could be, who has the ability to cultivate relationships, and a belief in driving impact then you may be the ideal person for this position.
In this role, you will
- Build an Information Technology governance and program management organization that supports all aspects of the Information Technology lifecycle from strategic planning to program execution.
- Drive execution of multiple simultaneous, cross-functional projects and/or programs. Proactively make adjustments or prioritization to course-correct programs that are in jeopardy, and communicate those updates to the correct stakeholders.
- Lead and manage strategic planning, cross-functional prioritization, and guide the Information Technology leadership through various strategic planning activities
- Interface with a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders and teams across the organization including, partnering with Finance and Strategy to track and manage budget and spend across strategic initiatives
- Partner with the organization to propose, refine, and implement process improvements and drive efficiencies.
- Foster a collaborative environment where differing perspectives are encouraged, acknowledged.
- Develop collaborative relationships across the entire organization.
- Expert level knowledge of program/project management and experience in leading a portfolio of programs with success.
- Comfortable working with, presenting to, and facilitating decisions among senior leaders based on evolving priorities. Able to ask the right questions and challenge the status quo.
- Communications: Periodic management system execution, executive communications, quarterly business reviews, monthly portfolio reviews, and employee communications
- 15+ years of experience in operations consulting / strategy / stakeholder management or related experience; some high-growth operations or startup experience is strongly preferred
- 8+ years experience in program management, with demonstrated ability to lead complex strategic and operational initiatives.
- Strong executive communication skills: exceptional writing skills. Effective communication in written and verbal form.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to identify strategic needs, lead all aspects of organizational planning with sound business recommendations, and generate alignment with key business partners
- The ability to lead process and governance development efforts to create light-weight, effective means in which to manage various parts of the information technology business
- Ability to define metrics for success, track KPIs towards those metrics and experience analyzing and proposing data-driven solutions. This position is expected to utilize data and metrics to communicate needs
- Forward-thinking strategist with proven success in translating strategy to tactical plans with high-quality execution and delivery.
- A healthy skepticism for the status quo and an unwillingness to settle. An empathetic leader style and have a strong self-awareness
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.