- San Francisco
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 28, 2021
- Engineering QA
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
The Offline Testing Experience Team’s mission is to accelerate autonomy testing through simulation, evaluation, and log analysis workflows and tools.
As a Design Manager, you will work closely with Product Designers, UX Researchers, and Product Managers to develop deep empathy for our users and create desirable user experiences.
You’ll be involved in every aspect of the product development process and will be collaborating with design leads and cross functional partners to help shape the vision and strategies behind some of the biggest initiatives in the company. You’ll be working with the design team across both San Francisco and Pittsburgh to help them deliver smart products and grow as creative professionals. You should feel comfortable changing elevations quickly, from high-level strategic thinking to interaction and design execution. Aurora’s work has many exciting challenges ahead, and we’re excited to welcome you as a team member as we build the future of transportation. This is a full-time position open to either our San Francisco, CA or Pittsburgh, PA offices.
In this role, you will
- Lead a design team to help define product vision and executions.
- Happy to be hands on with creating necessary artifacts to support the program and team.
- Someone who can lead the team by showing great examples of design practices and help solve complex interaction problems.
- Responsible for end-to-end direction of product experiences, from defining complex user-stories, wire-frames and prototyping to visual design with accountability to results.
- Package creative concepts and present to internal stakeholders in persuasive, articulate and compelling ways.
- Help guide the design team develop IA frameworks that aligns to complex taxonomies, create the foundation for a systematic design thinking to help build and define holistic customer experience across all website properties of Aurora.
- Collaborate with analytics and testing team on iterative tests to improve and optimize key metrics.
- Collaborate with product managers, program managers, engineering leads and design engineers to help define requirements for product development.
- 5+ years managing design teams in the development of software and optionally hardware products and leading design teams and the ability to build, mentor and motivate teams
- Experience working on complex interactive systems or products.
- A portfolio showing your high quality, thoughtful UI and UX work.
- 10+ years digital design and UX/IA experience for a large / complex websites with multiple KPIs
- 10+ years in product design field with outstanding core design skills and visionary mindset
- Strong background and knowledge working with a wide range of UI Design, Visual Design, UX Research in a highly technical environment or complex product suite, demonstrated through a comprehensive portfolio of successful consumer products.
- Excitement for building team culture, hiring and promoting design education within the greater organization. Ability to lead teams through vision, planning and talent management.
- Experience working with leadership to identify key business opportunities and IP.
- Ability to context switch between major focus areas within an organization.
- Ability to create and share a vision with stakeholders and the public.
- Ability to travel 25% of time (post COVID).
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.