- San Francisco
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Date Posted
- Nov. 15, 2021
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. As a newly public company, listed on the Nasdaq, we are searching for a Head of Internal Audit to join us and play an important role in establishing a world-class Internal Audit function and preparing us for SOX 404 compliance in line with industry best practices.
In this role, you will
- Play a critical role establishing Aurora’s Internal Audit function from the ground up
- Over time, help attract and grow exceptional internal audit talent capable of growing with Aurora as we build a transformative business for the long-term
- Develop Aurora’s internal audit strategy, working internally and externally to design and then implement a program to assess key risks, controls and processes
- Develop and coordinate testing of Aurora’s SOX, security and compliance controls; evaluate and remediate controls as necessary
- Conduct investigations with Legal for compliance with internal policies, ethical standards and governance controls
- Prepare audit reports providing recommendations around adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls and business processes to discuss with C-level executives and/or Aurora’s Audit Committee
- Review Aurora’s business processes and highlight areas that could improve performance, offering input and recommendations for changes to policies, procedures and controls
- Develop great working relationships with external auditors and other external advisors as necessary
- Develop a culture in Internal Audit that builds trust across Aurora and provides business partners with positive experiences when interacting with the team
- Be comfortable in the details as well as contributing strategically; we are a small department and need leaders who lead by example and will operate at all levels
- 13+ years relevant experience in Internal Audit roles in large and/or fast growing companies
- Significant demonstrable experience establishing Internal Audit functions to audit SOX 404 and internal controls over financial reporting
- Direct experience working in a fast growing publicly traded technology company with quarterly reporting requirements
- Familiar with advanced Finance tools and systems
- Strong interpersonal skills, in particular influencing skills and negotiating abilities to drive disparate opinions toward consensus
- Highly developed people management skills with demonstrated ability to recruit, retain and develop high performing teams
- Experience preparing and presenting audit reports to diverse audiences
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and proven ability to effectively communicate complex concepts in a simple manner
- Expert-level GSuite skills, particularly Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Slides
- CPA (or international equivalent) and/or professional level internal audit qualification
- Worked with external advisors to develop and implement SOX 404 controls and procedures in a newly public company, including experience with relevant project management software
- Thrives in a fast paced environment, that is constantly changing
- Familiarity with software and hardware business processes and SaaS-like business models since
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.