- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Sep. 22, 2021
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Reporting to our VP of People the Sr. Director of Total Rewards will lead our total rewards strategy, building on and evolving our current total rewards philosophy and programs across compensation, perks & benefits, and employee well-being. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of creating innovative, industry competitive reward strategies and programs and will be comfortable operating in an environment prioritizing multi-stakeholder collaboration. The ideal candidate will have depth of expertise in designing total reward models across different geographies and employee segments, including engineering, operations, G&A and sales in high growth-scaling companies. The ideal candidate will also have experience with executive compensation program design and governance and operations in public company contexts. Experience transitioning compensation from private to a public company operation is a plus. Our leader will possess strong executive presence as they will interact with the compensation committee of the board of directors and members of Aurora’s executive management committee. Our leader will also possess a strong customer service orientation ensuring programs and tools and interactions are reasonably frictionless and supportive of the Aurora culture.
In this role, you will
- Lead the strategy, design and execution of the company’s global compensation, equity, and benefits programs to enhance the employee experience
- Leverage knowledge of market conditions and competitive talent landscape while driving fairness and compliance in pay practices and policies
- Provide strategic oversight of executive compensation, including preparation for and participation in board level discussions
- Direct studies and analyses and engage resources such as specialized external consultants, as needed, to develop and refine programs
- Establish and measure key compensation and benefit program metrics to understand the effectiveness of the total rewards strategy; specifically lead the design and evaluation of Aurora’s company total rewards and benefits pulse surveys
- Drive employee awareness and understanding of all compensation and benefit programs partnering with members of Aurora’s legal, finance, people and internal comms teams
- Collaborate and partner with Aurora’s talent acquisition, DEI, people teams and business leadership to understand and proactively address key concerns in attracting, motivating and retaining high quality, diverse talent
- Oversee a team of compensation and benefits experts ensuring that all members are provided with clear expectations & direction and are empowered and held accountable to achieve their goals and perform their jobs
- Collaborate with other functions and external vendors and partners to understand insights and ensure successful delivery of total reward programs
- Oversee the design and implementation of total rewards operational and communications processes to evolve from supporting 1700 employees to > 4000 employees
- Oversee the design, implementation and operation of frictionless day-day processes to allow other functions such as talent acquisition, people operations, legal, finance to be well-equipped to perform tasks dependent on Total Rewards strategy and guidance
- At least 15 years of experience in Compensation and Benefits, including Equity design, R&D/Engineering, Operations, G&A and Sales Compensation, and Executive Compensation in global, public company
- Experience in fast-growth, scaling technology company
- Experience in mergers, acquisitions and transition from private to public company operations
- Ability to interact with teams in offices in all time-zones of the USA; post-COVID, willingness to occasionally travel
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or demonstrated equivalent experience in the industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to establish credible relationships and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Strong leadership presence, with the ability to empower, energize and encourage the team to overachieve
- A “player/coach/roll up your sleeves” mentality with the ability to pivot easily between strategic and tactical
- Demonstrated strategic, analytic, and financial skills that translate into actionable, results-oriented plans
- Expertise in handling multiple priorities and navigating in a highly collaborative environment where input and involvement from others is expected and appreciated
- A demonstrable track record of crafting and implementing total rewards strategies that align employees with shareholder value
- An enterprise-wide thinker, with a lens on how decisions made within one site or unit may affect others across the business
- Exceptional capability to design, deliver and operate compensation models with relevant benchmarking, standards, geography, equitability factors in mind
- Exceptional understanding of equity planning and models; experience transitioning a company from a private to public equity stance is desired
- Exceptional time management
Professional certification in compensation and/or benefits
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.