- Pittsburgh, PA
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Nov. 9, 2021
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Reporting to our Vice President People the VP Talent Acquisition will lead our talent acquisition strategy, building on and evolving our current recruiting and talent philosophy and programs and partnerships. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of creating innovative, industry talent acquisition strategies and programs and will be comfortable operating in an environment prioritizing multi-stakeholder collaboration. The ideal candidate will have a depth of expertise in designing recruiting models across different geographies and employee segments, including engineering, operations, G&A and sales in high growth-scaling companies. The ideal candidate will also have experience with executive and board committee member hiring. Experience transitioning hiring operations from private to a public company operation is a plus; leading and operating recruiting in a public company is a must. Our leader will possess a strong executive presence as they will interact with members of Aurora’s board, executive management and senior leadership teams. Our leader will also possess a strong customer service orientation ensuring programs and tools and interactions are reasonably frictionless and supportive of the Aurora culture. Experience collaborating to build and leverage an employee brand in talent acquisition strategy and operations is required alongside a track record of building teams of diverse talent.
In this role, you will
- Lead the strategy, design and execution of the company’s talent acquisition strategy to attract and retain highly committed, engaged and talented employees
- Leverage knowledge of market conditions and competitive talent landscape while driving fairness and compliance in hiring and internal job fulfillment practices and policies
- Represent the company externally to build our talent brand and broad pathways of opportunity into our company to ensure a robust and growing talent pool for our evolving needs
- Direct studies and analyses and engage resources such as specialized external consultants, executive recruiters and agencies as needed, to develop and refine programs and add recruiting capacity as needed
- Establish and measure key talent acquisition metrics to ensure widespread internal stakeholder understanding of our recruiting operations efficiency and effectiveness and deliver insights to enable future talent strategy evolution
- Drive employee awareness and understanding of all talent acquisition programs to ensure recruiting is a team sport with competence practiced in referrals, interviewing and selection
- Collaborate and partner with Aurora’s talent acquisition, DEI, people teams, and business leadership to understand and proactively address key concerns in attracting, motivating and retaining high quality, diverse talent
- Oversee a team of sourcers, full-lifecycle recruiters, coordinators, program and operations managers ensuring that all members are supported in managing change as the company scales and are provided with clear expectations & direction and are empowered and held accountable to achieve their goals and perform their jobs
- Collaborate with other functions and external vendors and partners to bring technology solutions and processes to support the ingenuity and effectiveness of the team
- Partner with the head of total rewards to devise compensation and offer strategies that enable the company mission balanced with needs and expectations of talent Aurora desires to attract
- Oversee the design and implementation of talent acquisition operational and communications processes within a 1600+ and scaling person company
- Oversee the design, implementation and operation of frictionless day-day processes to allow other functions such as talent acquisition, people operations, legal, finance to be well-equipped to perform tasks dependent on recruiting strategy and guidance
- Lead internal communication and partnering with executive and senior leadership team members to ensure collaboration, mutual understanding and support for all aspects of talent acquisition strategy and operations
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- 15+ years of experience in recruiting, talent acquisition
- Experience working in fast-growth, scaling technology startups and larger companies - both private and public
- Ability to interact with teams in offices in all time-zones of the USA; post-COVID, willingness to travel
- Demonstrated competence in leading talent acquisition team through data and leveraging data and operations effectiveness to ensure equitable, fair, transparent hiring practices
- Demonstrated ability to attract and hire diverse talent
- Experience scaling talent acquisition processes and systems
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.