- Michigan, US
- Date Posted
- Jan. 6, 2022
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all.
The Safety Engineering team at Aurora is seeking a candidate with expertise in software architecture, engineering, and integration of safety - and mission - critical software systems. In this role you will be responsible for working on both Functional Safety and SOTIF concepts to ensure the safety and deployment readiness of our product offerings. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of automotive functional safety as well as developments in the nascent SOTIF space. They should be able to apply first principles to produce SOTIF and FuSA concepts which seamlessly compliment each other.
Aurora’s Safety Engineers work closely with engineering design teams to develop sound and implementable safety concepts and requirements. Collaboration and teamwork are essential for bringing various stakeholders together, and guide implementation decisions across different disciplines.
In this role, you will
- Develop functional safety requirements for autonomous driving and core subsystems
- Develop SOTIF requirements for autonomous driving and core subsystems
- Develop and document detailed validation and verification plans for ensuring safety requirements are met
- Define and establish practices to achieve and maintain a continuous safety case
- Assess and contribute to relevant upcoming standards in safety for autonomous driving
- Strong engineering fundamentals
- Two or more years experience designing, developing, and validating safety critical systems per ISO 26262
- One year or more of experience performing SOTIF analysis and developing associated work products
- Familiarity with one or more domain specific areas like Perception, Motion Planning, Vehicle EE platform etc.
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills
- Two or more years of experience engineering and/or integrating complex automotive or robotic systems
- Direct, measurable impact on the design, development and launch of an exceptional product
- Experience with machine learning algorithms or motion planning algorithms
- Experience in the design or development of heavy trucks
- Experience with statistical data analysis
- Proficiency in Python
- ISO26262 Certification
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Uber, Volvo, FedEx, and PACCAR. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Wixom, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.