- San Francisco
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. This candidate will work closely with the Government Relations and Product teams to develop the myriad local, state, and federal laws affecting the launch of Aurora’s self-driving business lines.
- Provide legal advice to the Government Relations and Communications teams regarding ongoing legislative and regulatory processes
- Think creatively to resolve novel legal, regulatory, and policy issues
- Advise internal teams on the regulatory framework necessary for rapid geographic expansion
- JD degree or equivalent
- 5+ years of relevant law firm, government, and/or in-house experience
- Experience in the automotive, trucking, or other highly-regulated safety-sensitive industry
- Interest in diving deep into multi-jurisdictional regulatory and policy issues
- Experience working with government entities, regulators, and complex institutions to provide analysis on proposed legislation and regulations
- Exceptional writing skills
- Ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally
- Experience in the autonomous vehicle industry a huge plus
- Member of a State Bar
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.