- Date Posted
- Nov. 15, 2021
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make a tremendous impact on our future. The Autonomous Vehicle Operations Specialist will play a crucial role in our Vehicle Operations team, executing on road and closed course testing across our truck and vehicle platforms, with a focus on safety and attention to detail. Your thoughtful feedback, delivered directly to engineers, will measurably improve our product.
In this role, you will
- Safely pilot and copilot autonomous vehicles for on road and closed course testing
- Safely copilot autonomous trucks for on road and closed course testing
- Log real time feedback regarding autonomy and platform performance during testing, to be delivered to engineers
- Escalate operational blockers with suggested solutions
- Demonstrate positive impact at Aurora by working on cross-functional projects as time permits
- Maintain up to date knowledge of how our self-driving technology works. Understand daily software and operational changes.
- Work toward quantitative and qualitative goals that impact all of Vehicle Operations and Aurora
- Interact with the public as an ambassador for Aurora
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and make strategic decisions proactively
- Consistent focus on safety
- Ability to think critically
- Willingness to learn every day
- Ability to monitor cutting edge software on a laptop and type in a moving vehicle for extended periods of time
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and clean driving record, validated by MVR check
- Must pass initial and random drug and alcohol screenings
- Available to work day or night shifts
- Ability to work early mornings or late nights, on rotating shifts
- Ability to work regular overtime and some weekends
- 80% of shift time spent in vehicle (vehicle as office)
- Inquisitive attitude, interested in problem solving, and solving puzzles
- Experience in operations, technology, customer service, or automotive field.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment - team player
- Proficient in G-Suite
- Command line interface experience
- Interest and aptitude for technology tools - apps, gaming, adobe creative suite, etc..
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.