- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by what Bloomberg has called a “rock star cast” of self-driving luminaries and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Dispatcher based in Dallas, Texas. This person will work closely with a multidisciplinary team in operations, supporting initiatives around fleet optimization and efficiency. This role lives in vehicle operations working closely with representatives in the org and within Software and Hardware. This role is highly organized, mission driven, and possesses excellent communication with a complete understanding of risk analysis and management.
In this role, you will
- Support the operations team during the daily management of dispatch, including mission prioritization and assignment, leading meetings, and communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance throughout the site to global process standards and work on continuous improvement initiatives.
- Be a support outlet for operations, and be able to respond and handle emergency situations with composure.
- Cultural and motivational leader - Be able to motivate a group of individuals to meet team and company goals.
- Initiate, commence, and complete side projects based on project needs and operational priorities.
- Ensure a safety first approach is being adopted by the team.
- Thoroughly understand how our self-driving technology works. Stay on top of countless daily changes, both big and small.
- Facilitate continuous process improvement. Lead the team to meet quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Drive efficiency gains, find opportunity to refine processes and maximize effort.
- Communicate clearly, efficiently, and regularly to operations leadership and any other stakeholders.
- Spend on average 15% of your time testing in the vehicle.
- Work as a team and ultimately win together.
- Strong communication, ability to prioritize, attention to detail, good judgement and taking initiative.
- Exceptional leadership skills.
- Safety first focus.
- Ability to make command decisions, lead by example, and motivate teams.
- Exceptional critical thinking.
- Willingness to always be learning and excited to learn every day.
- Ability to monitor alpha software on a laptop and type in a moving vehicle for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrate a growth mindset by coaching and mentoring colleagues to bring out the best from the team.
- Conflict management and resolution experience.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend work, not always planned far in advance. Up to 30% travel.
- Ability to work day or night shifts.
- 2+ years leadership experience with a proven record of success.
- BA/BS degree or high school diploma/GED with equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in operations, trucking, technology, robotics, or automotive field. Does not need to be direct industry experience.
- Passion & expertise for vehicles, vehicle maintenance, or vehicle technology.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.