- San Francisco
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Aug. 15, 2021
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Principal Employee Relations Manager.
In this role, you will
- Act as the point of contact for specific employee relations matters across the organization, including questions of policy and performance management concerns, employee concerns or complaints and support any internal investigations, independently or in partnership with Legal and/or Safety.
- Consult with the Legal Department to work with employees and ensure compliance with company policies and applicable employment laws to serve as a company resource for effective risk mitigation strategies.
- Identify opportunities to instill sound ER practices that are in alignment with company goals and objectives, making recommendations to promote effective workplace practices; recommending and assisting in the development of management training and participating in departmental and/or cross-functional special project teams.
- Participate in the establishment of new and/or refinement of existing HR policies, practices, and standards.
- Monitor and analyze ER data and recommend organization-wide and/or client-specific interventions to address identified trends.
- Work on specialized projects as needed including definition and establishment of processes, systems, and reporting to enable us to thrive as a high-achieving public company.
- 12+ years of progressively responsible HR and/or business experience, which includes at least 7 years of experience working on complex employee relations issues
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated ability to apply expert knowledge of state and federal employment laws and regulations, as well as the ability to diagnose and develop appropriate solutions to complex cross-organization and/or issues
- Broad expert-level technical knowledge and expertise in Employee Relations including expertise in risk assessment as well as a strong foundation in the application of employment law in business situations
- Demonstrated issue and conflict resolution skills with the ability to negotiate and resolve complex matters, putting specific problems in the context of company values and priorities
- Strong analytical ability to read, analyze and interpret relevant business and statistical data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including facilitation, presentation, and negotiations skills; skilled collaborator with demonstrated ability to work across multiple departments and stakeholders internally and externally
- Demonstrated consultation, coaching, and influencing skills at all levels
- Develops solutions to emergent, complex problems with a goal of scaling solutions for growing organization
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.