- Date Posted
- Jun. 8, 2021
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We are searching for a Vehicle Operations Lead based in Dallas, Texas. This person will work closely with a multidisciplinary team in operations, supporting initiatives around optimization and efficiency. This role lives in vehicle operations and reports directly to the Operations Manager; working closely with representatives in the organization and within software and hardware. This role is highly organized, mission driven, and possesses excellent communication with a complete understanding of risk analysis and management.
In this role, you will
- Lead a team to safely and efficiently test cutting-edge technology. Thoroughly understand & teach how our self-driving technology works. Partner with team members to safely operate test vehicles to evaluate our technology.
- Manage and lead direct reports in company and department objectives.
- Drive efficiency gains, find opportunities to refine processes and maximize effort.
- Provide feedback early and often. Invest in coaching to foster strong professional development.
- Design, execute and optimize our operations. Coach team members in building processes & systems from scratch. Lead team to meet quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Collaborate with product and engineering to improve the performance of our technology.
- Communicate clearly, efficiently, and regularly to operations leadership and any other stakeholders.
- Spend on average 25% of your time testing in the vehicle.
- Manage a team of up to 10 full time employees.
- Provide coverage for Operations Manager when needed.
- Work as a team and ultimately win together.
- Exceptional leadership skills & judgment. No roadmap exists, we create it together each day.
- Strong communication, prioritization, attention to detail, and initiative.
- Safety first focus
- Ability to make command decisions, lead by example, motivate teams
- Ability to monitor alpha software on a laptop and type in a moving vehicle for extended periods of time
- Conflict management/ resolution experience
- Experience working in a collaborative management environment
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and clean driving record
- Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend work, not always planned far in advance. Up to 30% travel.
- Ability to work day or night shifts.
- 4+ years leadership experience with proven record of success
- Experience in operations, technology, robotics, or automotive field. Does not need to be direct industry experience.
- Passion & expertise for vehicles, vehicle maintenance, or vehicle technology
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.