- Pittsburg, CA
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 8, 2021
- Product Engineering
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Led by a team of seasoned experts, Aurora is on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software, hardware, and data services to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. This challenge is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Our work has real purpose. Delivering self-driving will improve lives around the world, expanding access to transportation, revitalizing cities, and giving people their time back. We’re one team inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief that our success will be a result of working together.
We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. Aurora is looking for an experienced Program Manager to embed within its Safety Management System (SMS) team to accelerate successful self-driving development and deployment by designing and delivering impactful internal products.
The Program Manager, Safety Culture Impact, will support the successful implementation of Aurora’s Safety Management System by working with the Program Manager, Safety Culture & Education, in gathering and analyzing data on safety culture and creating a strategic safety culture plan for the year. This will be inclusive of goals, outcomes, measurements, and follow-up within impact plans that focus on safety engagement through communication and education. The secondary output of this role will be managing the communication impact plans: working with cross-functional stakeholders to inform content outlines, facilitating the execution of engagement initiatives with the Communications and Marketing teams, and building these initiatives tactically as needed. This person may also be asked to provide assistance for pieces of impact plans that focus on education.
An ideal candidate will be able to compile and understand data related to employee perception of safety culture, analyze and identify meaningful trends in that data, and create plans that address these findings and have a high impact on enhancing safety culture. This person should demonstrate experience in developing strategies based on behavioral psychology, translating these into deliverable products, and engaging multiple stakeholders to ensure cross-functional requirements are met and properly executed on schedule. Skills in program or project management, including the ability to forecast workload, prioritize appropriately, and report on progress, are required.
A successful candidate in this role brings expertise in establishing and maintaining working relationships cross-functionally, experience in analysis and data regarding employee engagement and organizational psychology, and proven communication and presentation skills. Ideal candidates must be able to function well in a team environment and expertly collaborate with other team members.
This position reports to the Program Manager, Safety Culture and Education, who leads the overall Safety Culture strategy for all education, communication, perception measurement, and org-wide safety integration strategies. This position will work closely with Leadership, Legal, Communications, People Operations, Marketing, Operations, and other Product teams within Aurora.
- Embed on the SMS team within Aurora and apply and continue to develop an expertise around operational safety, self driving safety and established industry standards and best practices
- Support the Program Manager, Safety Culture and Education, in Safety Culture strategy, design, process development, and execution efforts
- In coordination with the Program Manager, Safety Culture and Education, SMS Team and Safety Leadership, help develop a strategy for safety culture analytics, to include appropriate measures and metrics for safety culture management.
- In coordination with the SMS Team and Safety Leadership and Communications, develop the Safety Culture Engagement Strategic Plan, which will include a calendar, outlines and outcomes for the year, and may include culture-shaping activities such as:
- In partnership with Communications, utilization of internal channels, including Global All Hands, Slack, email, and internal websites, to foster safety culture through transparent communication focused on translating safety’s mission and values into employee action
- Launch of interactive and exciting ways to reach and inspire employees, incorporating innovative techniques that provide visibility into material and increase connection to concepts
- Provide program support across functions and roles, ensuring that Safety program initiatives are properly socialized, messaged, and broadly communicated
- Ensure employee-facing safety, policies, processes, and procedures are clearly communicated to increase awareness and drive compliance
- Partner with the Safety Programs Lead to support the External Safety Engagement Strategy, representing safety culture and providing support and subject matter expertise on the topic as needed to support external initiatives
- Provide support for Safety Education efforts as requested (content creation, facilitation, administration)
- Coordinate with appropriate representatives from Communications, Marketing, People Ops and other stakeholders to ensure execution of all of the above, including the creation of SLA’s as needed for inter-departmental partnership
- In partnership with other members of the SMS Team, build and implement internal policies and procedures around Safety Culture, formalizing program purpose, intent, goals, and engagement targets
- With the Program Manager, Safety Culture and Education, monitor and measure engagement through the development and distribution of surveys, focus groups, or listening sessions, incorporating feedback to continually improve communication efficacy
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in organizational/psychology, communications, learning & development, sociology
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience working in program manager capacity
- Minimum 6+ years of corporate or tech experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in new program development and roll-out
- Experience in human resources, learning and development, communications, or behavioral analysis
- Proficient use of Google Suite
- Experience in creating presentation materials for senior management
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Previous experience working in a safety-critical industry or in performing safety-critical research
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced, highly technical environment
- Master’s Degree in Industrial Organizational Psychology or other Behavioral Science
- Previous experience in creating analysis for engagement, communication or outreach efforts
- Experience in learning and development
- Experience in data visualization
- Knowledge of statistical methods (sampling, inference and statistical modelling)
- Experience with high level communication
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.