- San Francisco
- Mountain View
- Bozeman, MT
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Product Engineering
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Led by a team of seasoned experts, Aurora is on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software, hardware, and data services to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities - improving the quality of life for all. This challenge is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life.
Our work has real purpose. Delivering self-driving will improve lives around the world, expanding access to transportation, revitalizing cities, and giving people their time back. We’re one team inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief that our success will be a result of working together.
We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. Aurora is looking for an experienced Program Manager within its Safety Management System (SMS) team to accelerate successful self-driving development and deployment by designing and delivering impactful internal products.
The SMS Program Manager will support Aurora’s Safety Management System, throughout the organization, by building processes and policies that ensure Aurora is able to systematically identify hazards and ensure those issues are provided to key decision-makers. Through this process, the SMS Program Manager, in coordination with each stakeholder, will research and understand systems, existing procedures, organizational decision-making and risk management at Aurora. The SMS Program Manager will have a major impact on SMS Framework development and rollout, and will be expected to draft and modify supporting policies and procedures.
A successful candidate in this role brings expertise for safety management best practices and will exercise creativity, critical thinking, open-mindedness and people skills to adapt established best practices for both self driving and Aurora’s unique mission and culture. This position will be expected to be an author of key elements of Aurora’s SMS Manual.
An ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in making strategic program improvements in the Safety Assurance and Safety Risk Management pillars and be expected to manage these elements from design to continuous improvement and beyond.
This position reports to the Manager, SMS and will work closely with Leadership, Legal, Government Relations, HR, Engineering, Operations, and other Product teams within Aurora.
- Embed on the SMS team within Aurora and apply and continue to develop an expertise around operational safety, self driving safety and established industry standards and best practices
- In coordination with the SMS Team and stakeholders, assist in SMS framework development, including, but not limited to policies and procedures regarding:
- Safety Assurance Processes, including but not limited to Safety Concern Reporting, Investigation and Issue Resolution, and Safety Performance Monitoring and Measuring
- Safety Risk Management Processes, including but not limited to Proactive and Reactive Safety Risk Assessments, Risk Taxonomy, and Risk Scheme
- Safety Governance (Safety Review Board / sub-committees)
- Safety Roles & Responsibilities
- Safety Education
- Safety Communication
- Safety Just Culture policies
- Support the creation and management of safety documents and records
- Support SMS Implementation Planning and Tracking
- Assist the SMS Manager and Head of Operational Safety in daily duties
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, management, business, safety or related field.
- Five (5) years of experience working in program manager capacity
- One (1) years of experience working within operations in a safety-critical field (Aerospace, Automobile, Nuclear, Oil or similar organization)
- Experience in new program development and rollout
- Proficient use of Microsoft/Google suite with an emphasis on data analysis methods (Excel / Access / Sheets).
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Master degree, MBA or 5+ years experience in Management role
- Previous experience in creating analysis for safety, operations or related areas
- Safety / Quality Management System knowledge
- Experience with safety regulatory compliance
- Experience working with safety data
- Knowledge of statistical methods (sampling, inference and statistical modelling)
- Experience with statistical programming languages
- Experience developing data pipelines and infrastructure
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by some of the world’s leading companies and capital firms, including Amazon, Sequoia, T-Rowe Price, Greylock and Index Ventures.