- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 28, 2021
- Product Management
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Photonics Packaging Engineer in Mountain View, CA.
In this role, you will
- Design and develop scalable packaging schemes for integrated photonic chip
- Optimize package design and processes to improve reliability, yield and throughput
- Work closely with mechanical and thermal engineers to address mechanical and thermal challenges associated with integrated photonics packages
- Engage with foundries to develop and prototype packaging solutions
- Engage with vendors to customize advanced packaging and test equipment and tools
- Collaborate with photonics design engineers to develop on-chip and off-chip optical and photonics component for packaging
- Collaborate with test engineers to develop test setups for characterization of packaging solutions
- Master / Ph.D. degree in physics, material science, mechanical engineering or relevant fields
- 4+ years of research or industrial experience with photonics packaging
- Fundamental understanding of electronics, optics and integrated photonics
- Experience with developing optical packaging solutions and process flows
- Experience with thermal and mechanical risk mitigations
- Experience with high precision flip-chip bonding tools
- Develop software to interface with cameras, stages, and optoelectronic test equipment.
- Experience with wafer-level silicon photonics packaging
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.