- Pittsburg, CA
- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Aug. 15, 2021
- Software Engineering
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
We’re searching for a backend software engineer on the Perception team to design and build upon our evaluation platform. The ideal candidate will enjoy the challenge of developing large-scale systems that track the autonomy development process and produce interactive metrics and insights. You’ll be writing analysis tools, generating and managing large datasets, and scaling out interconnected systems and services. The impact of your work will be fast and reliable ML model evaluation and involve tight collaboration within and across teams, including Simulation, Planning, Cloud, Tools, and more.
In this role, you will
- Architect powerful backend systems that flow into dynamic web services and visualizations
- Build scalable services and specialized systems for Perception analytics
- Improve the automation and reliability of large data processing pipelines
- Integrate backend data pipelines with human workflows in an efficient manner
- Significant ownership, independence, and leadership working across systems and teams
- Required Qualifications
- BS / MS / PhD degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Excellent programming and software design skills in Python or C++/C
- Strong industry software experience (2-5 years) building distributed systems, cloud computing systems, or automated data pipelines
- Experience with storage and/or database systems
- Comfort working on large codebases and software systems
- Great collaboration and communication skills
- Desirable Qualifications
- Experience with web service technologies (e.g., Flask, React)
- Experience with large-scale data analysis tools (e.g., Spark)
- Experience with containerized services in datacenter or cloud environments (e.g., AWS)
- Familiarity with rich sensor data (e.g., LIDAR, RADAR, camera)
- Knowledge of Perception and Autonomous Driving
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.