- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 8, 2021
- Software Engineering
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
In this role, you will:
- Take a leading role in analyzing the autonomy capabilities of a self-driving system from a safety perspective
- Develop first-principle analytic models to characterize and predict the complex, non-linear physics and interactions in self-driving
- Analyze multi-agent interactions between road users and the self-driving vehicle to ensure safe system response
- Develop data-driven strategies to complement analytical models and provide statistical justification
- Develop simulation strategy to verify these models for safe behavior
- Rapid prototype controls and dynamics models for self-driving vehicles and develop simulation approach to evaluate the models
- Develop safety requirements from the analyses, working with stakeholders
- Collaborate with systems, hardware, and software subject-matter-experts to analyze controls and dynamics impact of safety concepts and mechanisms to achieve safety goals
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related discipline preferred
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in systems engineering
- Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of successfully working with large, complex teams in a results-driven environment
- Ability to model complex systems by using kinematics and multi-body dynamics
- Ability to derive technical engineering requirements from analytical and data models
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and evolving priorities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience with complex autonomous systems
- Working knowledge of Python and physical modeling and simulation tool (e.g., MatLab)
- Experience with Machine Learning
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, military service, or physical or mental disability. You are being given the opportunity to voluntarily provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.