- Culver City, CA
- Date Posted
- May. 25, 2021
- Engineering Hardware
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we’re just getting started.
Bird is a last-mile electric vehicle sharing company dedicated to bringing safe, low-cost, environmentally-friendly transportation solutions to communities across the world. We provide a fleet of electric, shared scooters that can be accessed via smartphone. Bird is headquartered in Venice, California and is rapidly expanding across the country and the world.
The Vehicle Engineering team at bird is responsible for development of vehicles and components from concept to production. As a Mechanical Engineer, you’ll have mechanical design responsibility to help develop future Bird scooters and provide engineering input and solutions to address issues with the current fleet and develop key brand differentiators.
- Perform design engineering and release of vehicle components, develop load cases, and validation testing proposals.
- Develop design models and engineering drawings for new products and leverage team resources to complete vehicle design.
- FEA - develop load cases to model and to be used as test cases to correlate.
- Work cross functionally with Electrical Engineers, Validation Engineers, and Manufacturing to develop a cleanly integrated product.
- Review parts and assemblies at the various stages of development through mass production to ensure builds meet expectations and test articles are suited for test
- Steer technical calls with overseas and domestic suppliers to ensure manufacturability and optimize for cost
- Support root cause analysis
- Contribute to Bird’s collaborative design engineering culture
Skills and Experience
- Understanding of construction methods and tooling options as it relates to volume of production
- Solid CAD skills (Solidworks or NX) - Surfacing skills a plus
- Experience with product development from concept to validation and deployment.
- Product development with a focus on ease of manufacturing and cost optimization.
- History of making design decisions based on experience and FMEA understandings.
- Strong experience with design verification using FEA and motion studies.
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T.
- Experience producing/reviewing production-quality engineering drawings and practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience working with suppliers
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (word, excel, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 4 years of mechanical design experience
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions.
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- A creative curiosity, collaborative ethic, hardworking enthusiasm, and driving personal vision
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- Multi-tasking and self-starting.
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.