- Culver City, CA
- Date Posted
- May. 25, 2021
- Engineering Hardware
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we’re just getting started.
As a validation engineer, you’ll work with design engineering, quality, and service to participate in design reviews, collaborate on DFMEAs, develop and execute test plans and close the feedback loop on issues found to support development and validate vehicles for safe and reliable product launches.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a key contributor during design reviews and DFMEAs
- Figure out what and how to test: primarily mechanical and environmental testing at the component, subsystem and vehicle level, but also assist with electrical, software and other system level testing as needed
- Create/execute test plans to ensure real-world reliability/durability based on actual customer use and field failures
- Perform root cause analysis on problems found and provide feedback to the development team to improve the design
- Design, purchase, maintain and operate test equipment and infrastructure; experience developing test rigs/fixtures is preferred
- Evaluate field issues and propose/validate solutions that align with design, manufacturing, supplier quality, and operations
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3-7 years of relevant experience in design verification/validation/reliability testing (title will be determined by your level of experience and what you can bring to the team)
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions.
- Multi-tasking, self-starting and high sense of urgency to complete tasks
- SAE competition experience preferred but not required
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- Hands-on experience with DAQs and various transducers: accelerometers, loadcells, etc
- Very hands-on in general: can perform basic wiring, use various hand and powered tools
- Machine shop experience preferred: lathe, mill, grinders, drill presses, etc
- Experience with both accelerated and non-accelerated testing preferred
- Experience working with suppliers/vendors/test houses
- Experience with 3D CAD
- Understanding of DVP&R and DFMEA documents
- Understanding of mechanical vibration/shock, component mating/unmating cycling, electrical high current/temperature rise, IP sealing, thermal shock, humidity, salt fog/mist tests, structural testing
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T.
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN) communication interface
- Familiarity with Vector CANoe / CANalyzer preferred but not required
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.