- United States
- Date Posted
- Dec. 13, 2021
- Engineering Hardware
Who is Bird
Bird is on a mission to bring environmentally friendly transportation to everyone. Our products, services, and people share one common goal: to make cities more livable by reducing gas-powered car usage, lowering carbon emissions, and improving the safety of all road users.
We are relentless in our pursuit of better—for our riders, for our partners, for our employees, and for future generations. Our award winning electric vehicles help millions of riders take carbon-free trips in more than 300 cities globally. And our teams push boundaries and challenge the status quo in pursuit of a brighter future.
As a member of the NPI team, Sr. Mechanical Engineers are responsible for launching products from concept to full-rate production.
- Lead new product development and continuous improvement projects in a high-volume production environment with a strong sense of urgency
- Lead pre/post-launch NPI activities intended to support a smooth transition into production while maintaining high-quality standards
- Work with internal and external teams to ensure parts/assemblies are manufacturable, cost-effective, and maintain high-quality standards
- Responsible for managing medium-large scale and/or moderately complex departmental, cross-functional, and international development projects
- Act as liaison between design engineering, product management, operations, quality, suppliers, supply chain, and other stakeholders to identify and prioritize critical project milestones and deliverables
- Present engineering feedback and best practices information to local and offshore engineering teams and suppliers
- Establish and execute DVP&R test plans for products, assemblies, and components
- Lead DFMEA, PFMEA, and DFM processes
- Develop and maintain technical and project documentation, including deliverables
- Work collaboratively with other design centers, manufacturing plants, and strategic suppliers as needed
- Bachelor’s (B.S.) Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or other technical discipline, from an accredited institution
- 10+ years of engineering design and manufacturing experience in a product development environment and med-high to high-volume production facility
- 10+ years leading cross-functional project teams without direct supervisory responsibilities
- 7+ years designing and sustaining products throughout the entire lifecycle
- 5+ years experience in the electric vehicle, rideshare, motorcycle, or automotive industry
- Be flexible to travel domestically and internationally according to business necessity, up to ~25% of the time
- Extensive experience working with domestic, overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience with product qualification, testing, and validation
- Experience working in an AS9100 or ISO9001 environment
- Experience in material science and failure analysis
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack analysis
- Bilingual in Mandarin is a plus
- Regulatory agency experience (UL, ASTM, EU/EN, ISTA, CPSC, UN)
- Fundamental to advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/methods, process capability, and part/line tooling
- Experience designing products exposed to outdoor environments
- Injection molding, die casting, and process experience
- Highly detail-oriented, organized, and organizationally agile individual preferred
- Have knowledge of NPI and product development process
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite and G-Suite, Microsoft Project (or similar), 3D CAD (SolidWorks - preferred, Catia, ProE, or similar), ERP system(s)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships within all levels
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, childcare support, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, a wellness stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.