- Culver City, CA
- Date Posted
- Sep. 15, 2021
- Engineering Hardware
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we’re just getting started.
As a member of the NPI team, Sr. Mechanical Engineers are responsible for launching products from concept to full-rate production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead new product development and continuous improvement projects in a high-volume production environment with a strong sense of urgency
- Lead pre/post-launch NPI activities intended to support a smooth transition into production while maintaining high-quality standards
- Work with internal and external teams to ensure parts/assemblies are manufacturable, cost-effective, and maintain high-quality standards
- Responsible for managing medium-large scale and/or moderately complex departmental, cross-functional, and international development projects
- Act as liaison between design engineering, product management, operations, quality, suppliers, supply chain, and other stakeholders to identify and prioritize critical project milestones and deliverables
- Present engineering feedback and best practices information to local and offshore engineering teams and suppliers
- Establish and execute DVP&R test plans for products, assemblies, and components
- Lead DFMEA, PFMEA, and DFM processes
- Develop and maintain technical and project documentation, including deliverables
- Work collaboratively with other design centers, manufacturing plants, and strategic suppliers as neede
Bachelor’s (B.S.) Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or other technical discipline, from an accredited institution
- 10+ years of engineering design and manufacturing experience in a product development environment and med-high to high-volume production facility
- 10+ years leading cross-functional project teams without direct supervisory responsibilities
- +7 years designing and sustaining products throughout the entire lifecycle
- +5 years experience in the electric vehicle, rideshare, motorcycle, or automotive industry
- Be flexible to travel domestically and internationally according to business necessity, up to ~25% of the time
- Extensive experience working with domestic, overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience with product qualification, testing, and validation
- Experience working in an AS9100 or ISO9001 environment
- Experience in material science and failure analysis
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack analysis
- Bilingual in Mandarin is a plus
- Regulatory agency experience (UL, ASTM, EU/EN, ISTA, CPSC, UN)
- Fundamental to advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/methods, process capability, and part/line tooling
- Experience designing products exposed to outdoor environments
- Injection molding, die casting, and process experience
- Highly detail-oriented, organized, and organizationally agile individual preferred
- Have knowledge of NPI and product development process
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite and G-Suite, Microsoft Project (or similar), 3D CAD (SolidWorks - preferred, Catia, ProE, or similar), ERP system(s)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships within all levels
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.