- Date Posted
- Jan. 6, 2022
- Design & UI
As Design Manager you’ll be responsible for managing/supporting the entire Product Design team across multiple products, by:
- Measure and optimise team and individual performance through coaching and mentorship, helping each individual to progress in their design career, while ensuring that design as a function is delivering the results that the business needs.
- Work directly with the product leadership to develop a vision for the product and its respective areas, determine the goals needed to realise it, and ensure that everyone is aligned and delivering results.
- Develop processes and best practices that enable the design team to work efficiently at scale, without compromising on the quality.
- Work with company leadership to build out the design function and it’s capabilities, by identifying new resource requirements, building a world-class hiring process, and manage a budget required to ensure the team’s success.
- Develop and maintain a positive, supportive culture within the design team, that not only allows each existing designer to do their best work of their careers, but also attracts world-class talent to come join Birdie.
You’ll also collaborate with leaders from other key business areas, including sales, marketing, and customer success, to support them in using a design-led approach towards solving problems.
- We’d love to hear from you if...
- You have experience leading and coaching a number of Product Designers, and genuinely care about the performance and well-being of each individual that reports to you.
- Ideally you've worked in a B2B environment before, are passionate about building great experience and have a "product mindset".
- You’re constantly looking to learn new things, experiment with new ideas and process, and constantly measure the impact of the work you do.
- A good grasp of all the aspects of product design, from research to UX writing through to interaction and visuals. You don’t need to be an expert in any element, but empathy for each area and the challenge of working on all of them at once brings.
- You’re comfortable working with ambiguity and work towards defining common understanding / knowledge - this is the first Design Management hire for Birdie and you will have to operate independently most of the time to drive things forward.
- You’re comfortable communicating with people across the company, helping them to understand the reasoning behind decisions you’ve made and how design thinking can be applied to solve a wide range of problems.
What are the benefits?
People are our core strength. We are social entrepreneurs, boasting an outstanding culture (employer net promotion score of 67) with strong values (B-Corp certified). We offer exceptional benefits and invest massively in our team’s happiness, wellbeing and growth:
- The salary range for this position is £90k. We also provide discretionary share options to all permanant employees.
With Covid-19, we have decided to be a fully distributed team with Birdees working across the globe. We organise quarterly in-person events and online socials to make sure you can meet up with peers. If you want to come to the office, you’re most welcome of course!
Growth is key. You’ll have a personal development budget to put towards books (e.g., free audible subscription), courses, training and conferences; continuous coaching within the team and with external experts
33 days base holiday (25 days + 8 bank holidays) + Christmas eve day off
Private health insurance
Private health insurance with Vitality that covers many physical and mental health costs
Gym and well-being memberships
Gym membership and numerous other wellbeing perks and discounts via Vitality
Cycle to work scheme
Birdie will buy a bike up-front and you can salary sacrifice to pay off over the next 12-36 months
Highly favourable parental leave policy for any new parent, 26 weeks fully paid for primary care givers and 12 weeks fully paid for secondary care givers.
Pension employer contribution
Birdie contributes to your pension
- Frequent company socials, trips and meals
- We organise many socials, quarterly retreats and annual trips (like our epic ski trips)
We see ourselves as social entrepreneurs shaping a new kind of organisation: caring, responsible yet fostering excellence. Read The Birdie Way to learn more.