- Kyiv, UA
- Date Posted
- Jun. 28, 2021
- Software Engineering
BlaBlaCar is the world’s leading carpooling platform, created with one dream in mind: leveraging technology to fill the millions of empty seats on the road. We offer long- and short-distance carpooling as well as a bus marketplace, with the mission to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility.
Today, our community counts over 90 million travelers in 22 countries, creating a smarter, friendlier and carbon-saving transport network. Every year, our community saves 1.6 million tons of CO2e by sharing the road, equivalent to the CO2 emissions generated by Paris traffic in a year. But it doesn’t stop here – our team of 250+ engineers is developing innovative algorithms to further unlock the potential of shared travel and multiply its impact.
We’re looking for people to join our journey – people who care, who are driven by impact and innovation, and who want to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. We offer a flexible workplace where we count on each other to take initiative. So join the ride – we can’t wait to see where it takes you.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to manage the IMS (Inventory Management System) team responsible for the development of a product that automates the inventory management of bus carriers.
Your role will be to develop and manage a team of engineers to achieve ambitious development goals for our Pro Marketplace, of which an IMS product is an integral part, to help grow our business. Key projects will be to globalize the product and re-engineer the back office.
This mission is key for the success of the BlaBlaCar Pro Marketplace extension which is a pillar of the company strategy. The Engineering Manager will actively participate in the development of our new Tech Hub in Kyiv.
To get a grasp of your first 6 months:
- Understand the current processes and architecture of the IMS.
- Organize effective team work for product development.
- Provide deep refactoring of the product backend.
- Develop the team by defining a vision, hiring software engineers and onboarding newcomers. The team is expected to scale up as operations are ramping up;
- Communicating sideways and upwards about roadmap progress, organizational changes & dependencies. Communicating downstream to update the team on the company’s context, strategy and articulate their impact for the company;
- Managing up to 6 engineers providing each team member with OKRs, performance review, professional development and career growth opportunities. Organizing their work, processes and tooling in line with the standards of the company. Deploying accountability frameworks to measure efficiency and improve it;
- Taking part in the design definition of the services and their APIs to ensure they are scalable, robust and easy to use;
- Interacting with multiple internal stakeholders (product managers, business analyst, data scientists,etc) and external bus partners tech teams;
- Deploying and operating your services to production and ensuring they are performing as expected through monitoring and instrumentation.
- You have an experience as an engineering manager for at least 3 years with proven people management skills
- You have excellent experience in managing development processes for Scrum, Kanban and experience in using Jira, Confluence tools
- Experience in building solutions based on a Java Technology stack
- You have excellent communication skills, you’re humble, and you enjoy sharing & learning from others
- You embrace change, are able to take a step back, prioritize, and focus on added-value tasks
- You have a results-driven and impact-oriented mindset
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian & Russian
- If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d still be a great fit for this role in your application!
What we have to offer
- An international environment: over 35 nationalities across 7 countries: France, Germany, Spain, Ukraine, Russia, Brasil, Poland.
- Opportunities to learn: 360 onboarding weeks, weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn about what other teams are up to, International Weeks to mingle with other offices, regular Q&A sessions with our leadership, honest discussions about our company KPIs, ‘Fail, Learn, Succeed’ moments where we destigmatize and share moments of failure with others.
- Innovation: Coding Nights to pitch ideas outside our roadmap and make development dreams come true, weekly Product & Tech Demos and blogs to share engineering stories, access to top conferences across Europe.
- Impact: building a product that has a real impact on society and the environment, and sharing an office culture that prioritizes low-waste and eco-friendly practices.
- People-first: wind down from work at our BlaBlaShows, BlaBlaBreak retreats, weekly breakfasts and afterworks (when the sanitary conditions permit it) or meme battles on Slack.
- Shared company principles that guide us in our everyday decision-making and bring us closer to our goal. Find out more about our BlaBlaPrinciples.
Your future benefits
- Tailor-made remote policy: from 2 days per week to full remote (to be discussed with the Talent Acquisition Manager during the first call).
- A fair & competitive salary package
- Holidays: 24 days
- Parental policy (we are a signatory of the #ParentalAct)
- Trainings & career development programs
- Free carpooling & bus-rides wherever whenever
Here’s what your hiring journey will look like
- A 45-min video-call with one of our Talent Acquisition Managers to get to know you, understand your career expectations and answer your questions
- A 60-min video-call with Vasyl Kryvonos, our Chief of staff to learn more about your role and responsibilities in the organization
- A 60-min video-call with Sergii Muliarchuk, our Senior Engineering Manager to discuss about people management skills and tell you more about our team, processes and architecture
- A 45-min video-call with Sébastien Labat, our VP Engineering
- A 45-min video-call with Vera Klimanova, People Director
- Usually, our hiring process lasts on average 10 days and offers usually come within 24 hours.
- BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.