- Date Posted
- Jun. 28, 2021
- Software Engineering
BlaBlaCar is the world’s leading carpooling platform, created with one dream in mind: leveraging technology to fill the millions of empty seats on the road. We offer long- and short-distance carpooling as well as a bus marketplace, with the mission to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility.
Today, our community counts over 90 million travelers in 22 countries, creating a smarter, friendlier and carbon-saving transport network. Every year, our community saves 1.6 million tons of CO2e by sharing the road, equivalent to the CO2 emissions generated by Paris traffic in a year. But it doesn’t stop here – our team of 250+ engineers is developing innovative algorithms to further unlock the potential of shared travel and multiply its impact.
We’re looking for people to join our journey – people who care, who are driven by impact and innovation, and who want to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. We offer a flexible workplace where we count on each other to take initiative. So join the ride – we can’t wait to see where it takes you.
In order to address its upcoming challenges, BlaBlaCar is migrating its Backend Architecture to a Service-Oriented one. Within the Carpool Inventory team, you will have the opportunity to scale BlaBlaCar’s core business and help us become the number #1 destination for road transport.
As Senior Software Engineer, your role is to lead the design of our solutions, making sure they are simple, robust, and scalable. You will also contribute to the development of the stack by developing features, guiding younger engineers in their choices, and helping them to build a cloud compatible architecture. By joining our team, you will contribute to build services dedicated to the very core of BlaBlaCar: carpool trip publication and booking.
The core of our stack is composed of Java, Kafka, MariaDB, and PHP/Symfony (for the legacy part).
- Reporting to the Engineering Manager, in a team of 5 engineers (to date)
- Building a robust and scalable backend service that supports BlaBlaCar websites and mobile apps
- Working in a Service-Oriented and Event-Driven Architecture
- Taking part in the design definition of the services and their APIs
- Deploying and operating services to our production infrastructure on GCP, and ensuring they are performing as expected through monitoring and instrumentation
- Interacting with multiple internal stakeholders (software engineers, product managers, business analysts, etc.)
- Helping us improve our agile team processes and facilitating some of our team rituals
- Experience in engineering teams within tech-first companies
- Fluency in object-oriented language (ideally Java) development and eagerness to constantly learn new technologies
- Good knowledge of architectural patterns, and service-oriented and event-driven architectures
- A strong ability to lead analysis based on product specifications and needs
- Practical knowledge of ops tools (monitoring, deployment, containers, Linux…) and willingness to contribute to building a true devops environment
- Product-oriented spirit, with the ambition to deliver the best experience to end-users
- You have excellent communication skills, you’re humble, and you enjoy sharing & learning from others
- You embrace change, are able to take a step back, prioritize, and focus on added-value tasks
- You have a results-driven and impact-oriented mindset
- Fluency in English
- Nice to have: Proficiency in French
- If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d still be a great fit for this role in your application!
What we have to offer
- An international environment: over 35 nationalities across 7 countries: France, Germany, Spain, Ukraine, Russia, Brasil, Poland.
- Opportunities to learn: 360 onboarding weeks, weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn about what other teams are up to, International Weeks to mingle with other offices, regular Q&A sessions with our leadership, honest discussions about our company KPIs, ‘Fail, Learn, Succeed’ moments where we destigmatize and share moments of failure with others.
- Innovation: Coding Nights to pitch ideas outside our roadmap and make development dreams come true, weekly Product & Tech Demos and blogs to share engineering stories, access to top conferences across Europe.
- Impact: building a product that has a real impact on society and the environment, and sharing an office culture that prioritizes low-waste and eco-friendly practices.
- People-first: wind down from work at our BlaBlaShows, BlaBlaBreak retreats, weekly breakfasts and afterworks (when the sanitary conditions permit it) or meme battles on Slack.
- Shared company principles that guide us in our everyday decision-making and bring us closer to our goal. Find out more about our BlaBlaPrinciples.
Your future benefits
- Tailor-made remote policy: from 2 days per week to full remote (to be discussed with the Talent Acquisition Manager during the first call).
- A fair & competitive salary package
- Holidays: 10 days off in addition to the legal 25 days
- Relocation package and visa sponsorship to welcome you wherever you are currently based
- Parental policy (we are a signatory of the #ParentalAct)
- Trainings & career development programs
- Free carpooling & bus-rides wherever whenever
Here’s what your hiring journey will look like
- A 45-min video-call with one of our Talent Acquisition Managers to get to know you, understand your career expectations and answer your questions
- A 60-min video-call with the Engineering Manager to learn more about tech challenge & team organization
- A fully remote exercise
- Video-calls - Code review + Coding Live + Design to evaluate your technical skills
- A 45-min video-call with our VP
- Usually, our hiring process lasts on average 20-25 days and offers usually come within 48 hours.
- BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.