- Date Posted
- Jun. 28, 2021
- Software Engineering
BlaBlaCar is the world’s leading carpooling platform, created with one dream in mind: leveraging technology to fill the millions of empty seats on the road. We offer long- and short-distance carpooling as well as a bus marketplace, with the mission to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility.
Today, our community counts over 90 million travelers in 22 countries, creating a smarter, friendlier and carbon-saving transport network. Every year, our community saves 1.6 million tons of CO2e by sharing the road, equivalent to the CO2 emissions generated by Paris traffic in a year. But it doesn’t stop here – our team of 250+ engineers is developing innovative algorithms to further unlock the potential of shared travel and multiply its impact.
We’re looking for people to join our journey – people who care, who are driven by impact and innovation, and who want to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. We offer a flexible workplace where we count on each other to take initiative. So join the ride – we can’t wait to see where it takes you.
You will be part of the team responsible for our carpooling website on a backend level. The team mission is mainly to migrate from our monolith symfony application to smaller services by building new or integrating existing ones (external or internal).
Our main responsibility is to maintain the existing platform (performance, security & bugfix) that runs our PHP code on a daily basis for over 90 millions members. While the monolith runs on Symfony 3.4 using PHP 7.4, we are transitioning towards our new stack based on JAVA services (Spring Boot).
In the future, we aim at focusing on 2 scopes:
- Everything related to notifications (sms, push, emails. Both marketing and transactional). This is the scope of this job offer.
- The back-office and backend tools to handle community support topics (including moderation and fraud control)
- As a Software Engineer, you will contribute by developing features and helping the team to build a cloud compatible architecture. (Kubernetes / GKE).
You will help to build a better notification system, while controlling its operating cost. You will contribute to applications written in modern PHP and modern Java. This is a crucial component of the BlaBlaCar experience, as many flows are asynchronous and rely on notifications.
- Pursue the migration to a fully service oriented architecture by helping building and extract new services from the existing monolith
- Maintain the existing platform
- Participate in the definition of the features with the product and design teams to find the most relevant solutions for our members
- Participate in the definition of the architecture to find the best solutions to achieve high performance and reliability
- Significant experience in engineering teams within tech companies
- JAVA and eager to constantly learn new technologies
- You have excellent communication skills, you’re humble, and you enjoy sharing & learning from others
- You embrace change, are able to take a step back, prioritize, and focus on added-value tasks
- You have a results-driven and impact-oriented mindset
- Fluency in English
- Nice to have: proficiency in French is a plus
- Nice to have: PHP - Is desirable but not essential, you will be trained on this. This will be for used for maintenance.
What we have to offer
- An international environment: over 35 nationalities across 7 countries: France, Germany, Spain, Ukraine, Russia, Brasil, Poland.
- Opportunities to learn: 360 onboarding weeks, weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn about what other teams are up to, International Weeks to mingle with other offices, regular Q&A sessions with our leadership, honest discussions about our company KPIs, ‘Fail, Learn, Succeed’ moments where we destigmatize and share moments of failure with others.
- Innovation: Coding Nights to pitch ideas outside our roadmap and make development dreams come true, weekly Product & Tech Demos and blogs to share engineering stories, access to top conferences across Europe.
- Impact: building a product that has a real impact on society and the environment, and sharing an office culture that prioritizes low-waste and eco-friendly practices.
- People-first: wind down from work at our BlaBlaShows, BlaBlaBreak retreats, weekly breakfasts and afterworks (when the sanitary conditions permit it) or meme battles on Slack.
- Shared company principles that guide us in our everyday decision-making and bring us closer to our goal. Find out more about our BlaBlaPrinciples.
Your future benefits
- Tailor-made remote policy: from 2 days per week to full remote (to be discussed with the Talent Acquisition Manager during the first call).
- A fair & competitive salary package
- Holidays: 10 days off in addition to the legal 25 days
- Relocation package and visa sponsorship to welcome you wherever you are currently based
- Parental policy (we are a signatory of the #ParentalAct)
- Trainings & career development programs
- Free carpooling & bus-rides wherever whenever
- BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.