- Date Posted
- Sep. 30, 2021
- Product Engineering
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. Driven by our core belief that you can never care too much or be too thoughtful, we do things a little differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. And we’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are the world’s leading and most loved flower and gifting platform, growing at 100% year on year (and we’ve been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the pandemic).
2021 has already been an exciting year for us, in January we announced our £100 million Series D funding round round, led by General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), with participation from multiple other top tier investors including Index Ventures (who have also backed companies such as Transferwise and Glossier). More recently, we’ve announced the acquisition of the Dutch online flower business bloomon and the French online flower business Bergamotte, together creating Europe’s leading online flower delivery company, with our three strong brands active across 8 countries. We have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Subscriptions Technology Squad at Bloom & Wild
There are almost 100 people in the Technology team which forms a significant part of the overall Bloom & Wild team of over 400 people. The Technology team consists of the Engineering team, Platform Operations and Architecture teams, with Engineering being organised into cross functional squads, each responsible for a business and architectural domain.
You’ll build out and lead the Subscription Engine squad, a new cross functional squad who will work closely with our core Operations and Range teams and primarily on our back-end platform. Our business and our delivery volumes continue to experience significant organic and inorganic growth, and we have ambitious plans in the subscriptions area for the future.
The squad focuses on:
- Critical core subscriptions engine technology that lies at the heart of our business
- Enabling our ecommerce squads to build a delightful subscriptions experience for our customers
- Continuing our broader strategy to break up our platform into a set of smaller services and consolidate onto a single microservices platform
- You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild.
- The role and ways of working
- You will lead our Subscriptions Engine squad, reporting into the Director of Engineering
- Taking the lead on building out and scaling the squad, you’ll work with remote squad members based in the UK, The Netherlands and elsewhere, including all associated hiring and people management
- You’ll own delivery in your squad, working closely with the Product Manager to ensure that work is effectively planned, estimated and delivered
- In addition you’ll work closely with other Engineering Managers, Director of Engineering, Senior Technology leadership and community of practice leads to shape the technology roadmap and strategy going forwards, ensuring that we are improving the whole team and optimising the approach for more than just your squad
- We work with some great technology; our stack consists of iOS and Android apps, an Angular website and a backend platform with apps in Ruby on Rails and Python. You’ll play a key part, together with Tech Leads and our Architecture team in ensuring that the squad is picking the right technologies as we continue to scale
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight
- Are a people manager with around 2 years experience. You have a track record of leading diverse, happy, high performing technology teams
- You’ll be able to demonstrate how you’ve taken responsibility for performance management, career progression and pastoral care
- You’ve created environments that promote both autonomy and accountability
- Our Engineering Managers are accountable for both delivery and people management within their squad so you’ll need to have previous experience of scrum mastering/ project delivery
- You’ll take a collaborative, data-driven and experimental approach to solving complex problems, and have the ability to foster this mindset in your teams
- While we don’t expect our Engineering Managers to be regularly coding, you will need a background in software development that allows you to support those within your team to break down requirements and understand the underlying complexities
- You’ll be a great coach and servant leader, able to motivate and guide the squad through the good times and the bad, learning and improving as you go.
Nice to have
- A background in backend development, Ruby on Rails or Python would be perfect
- Experience working in e-commerce
- Experience working on subscriptions platforms or with subscriptions products
The Technology team currently consists of 25% fully remote engineers and 75% working in a hybrid model, coming to our office hubs in both London and Amsterdam as much or as little as they like.
We pride ourselves in fulfilling our Work From Home Promise - here
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Our new normal
The last year has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and whilst recognising that some of our team will still prefer to work in our office, our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
Currently the majority of our team are still working from home. However, in line with government restrictions we are gradually able to open up our offices again. For those that do want to return either some or all of the time to our office, the safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary priority and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.
- We do not plan to fully open the office back up until the end of September, to ensure the office feels as safe as possible for those that are using it.
- From September, we will continue not to expect people to come in as a norm, but managers may ask team members to come in for specific reasons with plenty of notice (unless you are a fully remote team member).
- After the end of September, the office will be open fully for people to use as much or as little as they’d like.
- We have no expectation that team members will need to come into the office 5 days a week again!
We’re proud to hold an A-rated sponsor license, so we can assign certificates of sponsorship. This means we can support applications from anywhere as long as the job is deemed suitable under the points based system
Our perks and benefits:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 10-4pm)
- We offer flexible bank holidays so at any time you can trade a bank holiday day off and in its place take off another day that fits better with your beliefs, values and celebration calendar.
- Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policy
- Workplace nursery - a salary sacrifice based childcare scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Pension Contribution
- Discounts on our blooms!
- Lunch & Learns
- Bloom & Go Wild trips (once we’re able to again) - most recently we went to Paris!
When we’re in the office:
Our lovely, light and spacious UK office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, inclusive and scale-up culture and for those who choose to come into the office you can also benefit from:
- Free snacks in the office
- 5pm finishes on Thursdays & Fridays to spend more time with each other
- Beer, wine & soft drinks fridge
- Season ticket loan (scheme currently frozen due to Covid-19)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- We’re a social bunch and have re-started our regular company wide events now that it’s safer to do so! Previous ones have included in person Summer & Christmas parties, post busy work period celebrations and regular team lunches
In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Twice weekly online yoga class and access to ClassPass workout content
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated
- Virtual Stand Up for weekly company updates, and Virtual Monthly Meeting to celebrate our successes and value nominations
- Remote D&I lunch and learns
- Wellbeing support through our online platform, Spill, which offers online therapy sessions
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
- Peak Treats to support our team during our busier times - earlier this year we sent out DIY meal kits from popular restaurants during Valentines & Mother’s Day and also collaborated with Graze to send out letterbox snacks to the team
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are demonstrating them exceptionally.
Our Recruitment Process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 the interview process will be conducted remotely. We’ll get to know each other better through a series of remote interviews with various members of the Technology and Product teams. During this time you’d get the chance to meet with some of the squad, talk with both our VP and Director of Engineering plus one of our Product Managers, and find out what it’s like to work for the largest online flower and gifting company in Europe!
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here