- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Nov. 16, 2021
- Software Engineering
We’re open to hearing from London-based or fully/partially remote candidates, as we work from everywhere (within GMT+2 hours)
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
In January 2021 we announced our £75 million Series D funding round round, led by General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), with participation from multiple other top tier investors including Index Ventures (who have also backed companies such as Transferwise and Glossier). We have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
- Technology team at Bloom & Wild
- The overall Bloom & Wild team is now 300+ people. You will join one of our core squads in our Technology team, each consisting of a small, close-knit team of developers, a product manager and a tester. Squads work closely with their Business counterpart team on solutions that accelerate growth both within and outside our UK core business. This posting is for a role with the Checkout squad
- The role and ways of working
- You’ll play a part in delivering your squad’s and the Technology team’s roadmaps. This will mean writing, reviewing and supporting code in our platform, taking ideas from requirements to production code, and being responsible for quality at every step along the way.
- You’ll work with some great technology. Our backend platform, currently using Ruby 2.6.5 and Rails 6 is backed by PostgreSQL, Fargate/ECS on AWS, with APIs that are used by our Angular 7 webapp and our native mobile apps. We are also looking to develop new microservices in GoLang in an event-driven, serverless architecture.
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for opportunities to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight.
- For our senior members and above, there is an expectation to participate in our compensated out of hours support on a rota basis throughout the year, inline with our Out of Hours policy
- You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild
- As an experienced Ruby developer (3 years+), you’ll have detailed knowledge of Ruby on Rails in a production environment and some experience of test-driven development
- Experience working with RESTful APIs and ideally you will have built new ones, used version control tools such as GitHub, CI tools such as Codebuild, and testing tools like RSpec/Cucumber or similar
- Experience of distributed service architectures, including how best to test and release them, and how to ensure system stability when making changes independent of other services
- You’ll be keen to learn and stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, favour working and usable MVPs, and using real customer feedback to continuously iterate and improve our technology
- You’ll take a collaborative, data-driven and experimental approach to solving complex problems, and be able to demonstrate the ability to foster this mindset in your colleagues
Nice to have
- Experience working in a fast-growing (preferably consumer-facing) startup
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Regular virtual yoga classes with more virtual exercise variety to come!
- Celebrating birthdays with letterbox cake
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolleys’ and updates from our senior team
- Remote lunch and learns
- Supporting our wellbeing through online support sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of communicating including wellbeing channels
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
- Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so. Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
When we’re in the office
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
- We apply our five key values (delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride) in our day to day activities and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
- Before you start you’ll be able to choose whatever laptop you need, a widescreen monitor to plug into and whatever other tools you need.
- See more on life at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 the interview process will be conducted remotely. This will involve an interview with:
1. Safa, our Senior Technology Talent Manager
2. Gideon, our Engineering Manager
- 3. Technical task will be shared with you
- 4. Technical interview with the team / Culture interview / Product interview
- 5. Final stage interview our CEO, Aron
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation