- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Aug. 9, 2021
- Software Engineering
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. Driven by our core belief that you can never care too much or be too thoughtful, we do things a little differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. And we’ve seen good traction to date - we are the world’s leading and most loved flower and gifting platform, growing at 100% year on year (and we’ve been very fortunate to see growth remain strong during the pandemic).
2021 has already been an exciting year for us, in January we announced our £75 million Series D funding round round, led by General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), with participation from multiple other top tier investors including Index Ventures (who have also backed companies such as Transferwise and Glossier). More recently, we’ve announced the acquisition of the Dutch online flower business bloomon and the French online flower business Bergamotte, together creating Europe’s leading online flower delivery company, with our three strong brands active across 8 countries. We have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Technology Team at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 300 people. You will join one of our core squads in our Technology team, each consisting of a small, close-knit team of developers, a product manager and a tester. Squads work closely with their Business counterpart team on solutions that accelerate growth both within and outside our UK core business.
Squads’ focus areas include:
- Critical core technology that lies at the heart of our company’s expansion, and is used by both our internal teams and our external suppliers
- Using technology to help build our warehouse technology, expand into international markets, develop new distribution channels, and support the development of new products and services
- Supporting our broader strategy to break up our platform into a set of smaller services
- You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild.
- The role and ways of working
- List of bullet points outlining the key responsibilities and ways of working of this role
- You’ll play a part in delivering your squad’s and the Technology team’s roadmaps. This will mean writing, reviewing and supporting code in our platform, taking ideas from requirements to production code, and being responsible for quality at every step along the way.
- You’ll work with some great technology. Our backend platform, currently using Ruby 2.6.5 and Rails 6 is backed by PostgreSQL, Fargate/ECS on AWS, with APIs that are used by our Angular 7 webapp and our native mobile apps. We are also looking to develop new microservices in GoLang in an event-driven, serverless architecture.
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for opportunities to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight.
- You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild
- As an experienced Ruby developer (3 years+), you’ll have detailed knowledge of Ruby on Rails in a production environment and some experience of test-driven development
- Experience working with RESTful APIs and ideally you will have built new ones, used version control tools such as GitHub, CI tools such as Codebuild, and testing tools like RSpec/Cucumber or similar
- Experience of distributed service architectures, including how best to test and release them, and how to ensure system stability when making changes independent of other services
- You will be able to get going quickly, understand complex systems and also be able to communicate with non-technical team members.
- You will be experienced in breaking down complex requirements into Stories for development and estimating the size of work in complexity.
Nice to have
- Experience working in a fast-growing (preferably consumer-facing) startup
- Have worked with Braze or another Transactional/CRM email system before.
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them especially. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Return to work and our new normalThe safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.
Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work very successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
In accordance to government guidelines:
- The office is open for people to use it as much or as little as they’d like.
- We will continue not to expect people to come in as a norm, but managers may ask team members to come in for specific reasons with plenty of notice (unless you are a fully remote team member)
- Bloom & Wild has no expectation that team members will need to come into the office 5 days per week again!