- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Sep. 27, 2021
- Software Engineering
At Citymapper we’re a small, hard working team on a mission to help make complex cities easy to use.
Our app helps people every day in major world cities like London, New York, and Paris by giving them the most up-to-date and complete information on urban transportation options, with a personal touch.
The COVID-19 pandemic has dramatically changed travel patterns. As people have been reconsidering their travel patterns, we’ve been improving our support for other travel modes like bicycles, e-scooters, and walking. We’ve added turn-by-turn voice support for all of these, and we’re only getting started.
Our small team of Android developers iterates quickly and tests new features and UI tweaks daily in our own travels. We aim to ship changes that make a real difference to users every two weeks or so. We also recently shipped the first version of our SDK, with the goal of giving other apps access to an embedded version of the full Citymapper experience.
We’re looking for people to help us take on the following kinds of problems:
Someone’s standing at a bus stop and they have 10 seconds to figure out whether to get on or not. Can we give them a clear answer in time?
Someone’s in the middle of a transit trip when the train they were going to connect to gets delayed. Can we let them know promptly and help them find a better way to get there?
Someone’s traveling in an unfamiliar part of town and doesn’t want to get out their phone. Can we give them effortless guidance using only their headphones or smartwatch?
- Someone’s traveling home late at night. Can we give their partner peace of mind?
- How do we turn Citymapper-the-mobile-app into Citymapper-the-platform, providing a best-in-class SDK while still building the next generation of features for the core consumer app?
- We’re hiring for our headquarters on the south bank of the Thames in London, and we are also willing to discuss remote working arrangements within the UK.
- If this sounds like your kind of project and team, we’d love to talk with you.
We’re looking for people who can demonstrate good Android development skills. The SDK codebase is 100% modern Kotlin + coroutines, while the Citymapper app is a mix of Kotlin and a rapidly shrinking percentage of Java.
You should also be motivated enough by our mission to improve cities and transportation that you have ideas on how to improve the product & experience.
- Competitive pay & meaningful equity / stock options
- 25 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Services to support your physical and mental wellbeing
Cycle to work scheme
- Pension scheme (we pay in, you pay in)
- Food and drinks, and social events throughout the year
We believe that diverse teams are the best teams and we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We welcome and will consider all applications regardless of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage, pregnancy, maternity, race or nationality, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation (and any other status protected by applicable law).