- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Nov. 22, 2021
- Software Engineering
Citymapper makes cities usable, helping people move through urban spaces, getting people from A to B.
We’re looking for a backend or systems engineer with a real love for infrastructure and software. You know all about building servers, and building the systems and processes that build, scale and monitor them too. How do you optimise for the right balance of ease of maintenance and reliability and speed and cost?
This role covers a huge array of problem spaces; some of the things you’ll be working on:
- Help architect the broad systems that power an app used by millions
- Ensure that the infrastructure scales as we double our number of cities
- Provide useful monitoring and alarming for the on-call team with few false positives
- Empower our backend engineers to spend less time managing deploys through CI/CD
- Lead long term engineering projects such as the migrating large EC2 deployments to kubernetes or eliminating the last holdouts of Python2
In the course of doing these things, you will:
- Write infrastructure as code
- Work side-by-side with talented software engineers, data scientists, and customer support operatives on a day-to-day basis
- Put best practice around legacy servers to show us the path to upgrade
- Manage and maintain a fleet of infrastructure in AWS
- Design and deploy greenfield systems
- Refine and define our CI/CD pipelines in CircleCI
- Support and be supported by an incredibly welcoming team
- Learn and grow at a dizzying pace
- Teach us how to be better
- We need you to be smart, curious, and keen to get stuck in.
- We’ll be looking to you to tell us what we should be doing with our infrastructure while still shipping fast.
- You’ll have at least 2 years experience working deeply with infrastructure in a cloud compute provider, ideally AWS.
- Relevant experience as a Software engineer would be a plus - as we believe that you will need that in order to work efficiently alongside the software engineering team.
- A true passion for public transport is a plus.
We’re a genuinely hybrid company. Our employees have the choice of working from our headquarters on the south bank of the Thames in London, or from home (within the UK) - or a bit of both! If you’re based outside of the UK we’re also able to consider UK visa sponsorship for international candidates wanting to relocate to the UK.
- Competitive pay & meaningful equity / stock options
- 25 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Generous Family Leave policies for if/when you start a family
- Free dinner in the office every day
- Services to support your mental wellbeing
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension scheme (we pay in, you pay in)
- Drinks and social events throughout the year
- Citymapper swag
We believe that diverse teams are the best teams and we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We welcome and will consider all applications regardless of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage, pregnancy, maternity, race or nationality, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation (and any other status protected by applicable law).