- United States
- Date Posted
- Sep. 22, 2021
- Data Science
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations be resilient to cyber attacks. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive insurance to help organizations recover from failures and breaches. We serve over 42,000 customers, ranging from small and midsize businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $300M from leading global technology investors, including Index Ventures, General Atlantic, Ribbit Capital, Vy Capital, Hillhouse Capital, and Valor Equity Partners, among others. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is global with employees based across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Portugal.
About The Role
Coalition is looking for an experienced data scientist to join our rapidly growing team of data scientists and manage the systems and processes responsible for accurate data collection, processing, modeling and analysis. The ideal candidate has a knack for seeing solutions in sprawling data sets and the business mindset to convert insights into strategic opportunities for our company.
This role will work closely with leaders across product, sales, and marketing to support and implement high-quality, data-driven decisions. They will ensure data accuracy and consistent reporting by designing and creating optimal processes and procedures for the data science team to follow. The right person for the job will apply their exhaustive knowledge of data analysis to solving real-world problems faced by our company and finding opportunities for improvement across multiple projects, teams and business units.
- Lead cross-functional projects using advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
- Oversee the design and delivery of data models, reporting systems, data automation systems, dashboards and performance metrics that support key business decisions.
- Organize and drive successful completion of data insight initiatives through effective collaboration with stakeholders and effective mentorship of junior data scientists.
- Manage a portfolio of analytics tools and platforms that empower data scientists, product managers, go-to-market teams, and other data consumers
- Design and implement ETL processes and data architecture to optimize available data warehouse infrastructure and ensure proper monitoring and performance of various big data systems.
- Carry out monitoring, tuning, and database performance analysis
- Contribute and grow the culture of data excellence on our team by bringing mature empathy, best practices, and processes to our organization.
Skills and Qualifications
- Expert SQL proficiency with proven competencies in designing well-architected data models, optimizing for query performance, and clearly documenting code
- 4-6+ years of experience in related analytical, business systems or data engineering fields
- Work in Tableau, Looker, or similar visualization / business intelligence platform
- Understanding of and experience using analytical concepts and statistical techniques: hypothesis development, designing tests/experiments, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations for business units.
- Strong communication skills, with experience communicating and summarizing results and findings for a nontechnical audience
- Experience using Python or R for exploratory and/or statistical analysis & modeling
- Experience with DBT or similar analytics workflow tools a big plus
- Understanding of big data and real-time processing systems and tools (Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Pig, MapReduce, Kafka, Storm etc.)
- Experience with data governance (defining procedures, establishing change management policies)
- Exposure to Apache Airflow or other DAG frameworks
- Experience with operational tools and business systems such as Amplitude, Google Analytics, Marketo, Salesforce, Segment, or Zuora
Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition’s culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
- Coalition Raises $175M to Build the Future of Commercial Insurance
- Forbes.com - Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2020
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.