- United States
- Date Posted
- Nov. 22, 2021
- Data Science
Founded in 2017, Coalition is on a mission to solve cyber risk and create a safer digital economy where everyone can thrive. Digital risk is now a part of every business and it’s no longer solely the domain of technical teams. That’s why we combined comprehensive insurance with proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations stay resilient to digital risks like cyber attacks, funds transfer fraud and much more.
Our team works collaboratively across North America and Europe to prevent security failures and provide both technical and financial help when incidents do occur. Today, Coalition is the world’s largest commercial insurtech serving over 130,000 customers including many small businesses that rely on Coalition to help them chart a path forward in the new digital world.
As of September 2021, Coalition has raised $520 million from leading global technology investors as well as highly-regarded institutional investors including: Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Valor Ventures, Durable Capital, T. Rowe Price Advisors, and Whale Rock Capital, valuing the company at more than $3.5 billion.
Coalition has experienced tremendous growth by helping organizations of all sizes solve real-world problems and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, authenticity and diversity. That’s why we are proud to be named one of Inc’s Best Places to Work in 2021.
About The Role
Coalition is looking for an experienced data scientist to help us analyze, quantify, and communicate ever-changing marketplace dynamics, as well as serve as a data science mentor in applying cutting-edge optimization solutions to other problems across the company. Cyber insurance is the fastest growing line of property casualty insurance, and the cyber insurance marketplace experiences rapid changes in risk appetite and demand/supply fluctuations. You will lead a critical effort in measuring the competitiveness of our offerings and help us identify and react to changes in marketplace dynamics.
- Be the data and statistical expert of cyber insurance marketplace dynamics: Measure the competitiveness of our offerings, changes in the market, and offer opinionated advice on potential optimizations
- Work with other data scientists and engineers to implement mathematical models as real-time alerting systems that drive business actions
- Translate mathematical findings to digestible summaries that can be shared at the executive level
- Mentor data scientists and spread data best practices to the team (and company!)
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD with 2+ years of experience, MS with 4+ years of experience, or undergraduate with 6+ years of experience applying numerical optimization techniques to sorting, matching, or marketplace problems
- Ability to translate marketplace dynamics of bidders into mathematical models
- Comfort with econometric techniques like multivariate regression, diff-in-diff, and instrumental variables
- Excellent written communication skills and desire to drive change through persuasive write ups and analyses
- Strong ability in statistical computing language like Python, R or Julia
- Persistence, patience and a great sense of responsibility
- Experience with Thompson Sampling, reinforcement or active learning
- Experience implementing solutions in a cloud environment like AWS
Coalition’s culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.